Sister (32)

POV Camila Cabello

-Camila, I'll be right back. I'm going to accompany Halsey to the door.

I just nodded at Mr. Prado and saw him get up accompanied by the woman, who flashed me a smile, to then leave.

I grabbed my phone and checked the texts. Nothing from Lauren. Why did she have to be like this, so oblivious to everything? I had some texts from Sofi. God, I missed my little sister so much, but I didn't know when I'd see her again. I put the phone back on the desk and relaxed in my chair.

-Deputy Cabello? – Mr. Prado was back – Can we talk a bit before you return to your tasks?

-Of course, sir. – I smiled gently and saw the man sitting in front of me again – I'll be honest, I didn't use to see you here, you rarely answered my calls too... To what do I owe the honor?

I wasn't able to completely contain the sarcasm, since he was a somewhat inaccessible man. That has always annoyed me so much, but there was not much to do.

-That means that you're excellent at what you do. – he said and it was inevitable not to smile – If our contact was scarce till now, it was because you've been performing your role well.

-But you are here now. It means, then, that something is wrong...? – I said, uncertain – Or did you just come to welcome me? – I asked and he laughed nodding.

His fingers began to drum on the desk, which started to make me nervous, impatient.

-How's the Maniac Polaroid case?

-It's something very delicate, sir. It's almost like looking for a ghost. Agent Dinah still hasn't had time to completely update me on the case, but I fear that we haven't had much progress.

He didn't seem surprised by what I said.

-It's very common that the whereabouts of those criminals isn't discovered, but I hope that we can catch him.

-Me too, sir. Although I feel that he's doing us a favor, does that sound weird?

-I understand, Ms. Cabello. – he smiled and stopped drumming his fingers on the desk, and I thanked inwardly – Today we had an unusual activity here at the precinct, don't you agree?

-Yes, it was horrible to receive a man's head addressed to me. – I smiled weakly at the memory of the unpleasant incident.

-Don't you think that this has become too personal to the Maniac? Aren't you afraid?

I didn't understand where he was trying to go with that conversation.

-There's nothing personal, I don't have any connection with this killer.

-Oh, I'm sure you don't. – he smiled and I tried to reciprocate – Well, how are the wedding preparations going? – he asked suddenly, drastically changing the subject.

He had come over here to ask me personal questions?

-It's not going to happen anymore. I mean, I decided that not long ago.

The man now looked rather surprised.

-Why?

-I'm sorry, sir, but that's only Rob and I's business.

Mr. Prado arched his eyebrows incredulously. I didn't want to reply to him in such a way, but I also couldn't let my private life be exposed like that.

-Alright, Deputy. – he got up and buttoned his suit jacket – Camila, you are off the Maniac Polaroid case.

-He couldn't be serious! It was the case of my life.