I can kill you (55)

Previously on Dark Paradise:

Robert only stopped punching me when I could no longer open my eyes. I felt the taste of blood in my mouth and my whole face throb. When I felt Robert's weight lifting, I tried to get up, but he kicked me so hard on the ribs that the idea of getting up no longer made sense. I didn't want to give up, but I was too weak, my anger was now all focused on me, for being sloppy and giving him an opportunity to attack, thus losing the opportunity to teach that bastard a lesson, the bastard who made my life, Camila's life, and so many other people's life, a living hell. I hated Robert the way I've never hated anyone, I let myself be blinded by my anger and now I was suffering the consequences.

"Say hi to your beloved for me, Lauren."

-----

POV Camila Cabello

Robert's name was flashing on my phone screen, illuminating the whole room. With my eyes fixed on the device, I was motionless in an inner struggle about whether to answer or not. A chill ran through my body, his sudden phone call made me shudder from head to toe, and the only thing I could think of were his threats. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath, trying to control myself, at that moment all I needed was to be strong, but I didn't feel like that determined deputy I once was, full of energy and without fear. Deputy Cabello disappeared from the face of the earth, leaving only Camila, maybe because I was too involved, I've never been so involved in a case like I was in this one. God... I extended my trembling hand, reaching for the device that was still flashing. I let out all the air I had in my lungs and answered.

"Wh-what do you want?" My voice faltered for a moment.

Robert let out a chuckle on the other side of the line, his breathing seemed a bit heavy.

"You better hurry, Deputy Cabello." His menacing tone made me shudder from head to toe, intensifying the bad feeling that throbbed in my chest before I even answered the call. "The state in which I left her isn't good at all."

My heart missed a beat. Sofia smiling at me came to mind; my body got so weak that I almost let the phone fall.

"WHAT DID YOU DO? WHERE'S SOFIA?"

"Sofia? No... I haven't done anything to her yet." His voice tone came out controlled, as if he was asking me what I made for dinner.

But if it wasn't Sofia, then...

"Wh-what did y-you do to her?" I got up in a jolt, my body trembling, fearing the worst. I warned her. Dammit! I warned her to stay away from him. "Where's Lauren?"

"You better hurry..." He hung up.

My legs moved, making me walk from one side to the other, a whirlwind of thoughts swarmed in my mind. I had no idea what happened to Lauren, but I was afraid to find out, I don't think I could handle it. Lately, I was so on edge that I was afraid of myself.

-----

At the moment, I have the strange feeling that everything I do is wrong. I've been making mistakes in my life ever since I left home. With every step I took, I made a mistake. I made a mistake with Lauren, in my career, with Sofi, with Rob. What destroys me the most is having let so many people walk all over my life, my choices and decisions. It sucks to realize something like this when time has already been lost and your hopes have already faded away. Yeah... I was hopeless now.

The cool breeze was blowing against my hair, my head was leaning on the steering wheel of my car, letting the tears fall. I was afraid of what I would face. Ever since Robert's phone call, I didn't know what to do. I lost track of how long I've been parked in front of Lauren's house, crying after my relentless search for her, with no one to turn to. A very bad feeling settled inside me. I know that the last thing we should think of was the worst, but at the moment I had already been through hell and back, now letting the very worst cross my mind.