Part 39

i screamed your name
at the top of my lungs
into the thick of the woods tonight,
just to get it
off my tongue
and out from the back of my throat
--Unknown
*
*
*
I sit on the bench quietly as my friends talk loudly. "So are you coming with us tonight, Paige?" Eva asks.

"No." I answer. "I don't feel too good." The girls give me a look. "Is it because of you know who?" Nikki asks taking a seat beside me. I shake my head no but I'm lying. It is because of Roman. But my friends know I'm lying because the know me too well.

"You can't be sad about it forever." Brie says. "Okay, what are you guys talking about?" Eva asks confused. "Nothing. Nothing." Aj says.

"Stop lying. Ever since I got back you guys won't tell me anything. First of all Emma doesn't talk to y'all and now somethings going on with Paige and it sucks not knowing because I feel like an idiot." She looks hurt and aggravated and who can blame her? I'd be upset if my friends where hiding stuff from me too.

"Eva-" before Nattie can come to my rescue again I stand up and stop her. "Here's what's going on. Emma stopped talking to us because of my fault. I'm a horrible, horrible, friend that likes her crush. I thought he liked me back but now he hasn't talked to me for two weeks. He's been ignoring me and I'm sure it has to do with that gorgeous super model that came to see him. Now I don't have my best friend or the guy I like and life is complicated as hell and I'm confused and hurt. And I don't know what I'm going to do because I feel like I'm fucking drowning while everyone else is breathing fine."

I don't realize how much I needed to get that off my chest. The girls are looking at me with sadness and pity. Eva looks shocked, "I- I'm sorry. I didn't know." She whispers.

"It's not your fault. It's mine." I say gulping my knot down my throat. "Paige." Nikki says rubbing my back. "I'll be fine. I promise." I say with a forced smile.

They don't look convinced at all but they stop talking about it. "Paige you have a match against Eva tonight." Mark says as he approaches us. I nod and then he keeps talking, "Oh and Nikki you're against Aj."

He then keeps walking down the hall. "Well we better get ready." Aj says breaking the awkward silence.

•••
"Come on, Paige!" Eva says slamming my head against the mat. I lay on the floor feeling my head spin and my lower back ache. Eva kicked my pretty hard while ago.

The whole match she has been dominating me. Truth is I haven't tried the whole time. I'm starting to hate this because I hate being sloppy on the ring. I hate not being able to concentrate. I hate it because I let my fans down, because I let myself down.

Wrestling so the thing I love the most and not being able to do it right makes me feel horrible inside.

I try to punch Eva but she moves out the way making me run into a pole. I get up and as I'm about to run to her Summer Rae's theme song starts playing. I look at her as she's walking out with a microphone.

I'm too distracted looking at her that Eva grabs me from behind and rolls me up to pin me. The referee counts to three and Eva gets out of the ring quickly smiling.

I sit on the ring aggravated running my fingers through my hair. "Aww, poor, poor, Paige. Nothing seems to be going right in your life." Summer says through a microphone.

"I mean, everything is going down hill for you. Isn't it?" She says with a grin on her face. I know she's saying this because she knows my life is pretty sucky right now.

"Well you see I don't feel bad for you. You get what you deserve. And honestly, I'm pretty tired of your little lover if you can even call him that," she laughs and I feel my cheeks redden. "Messing with my boyfriend. And I'm tired of you too. So I say we settle this once and for all. Battleground, this Sunday. Punk and I against you and your whatever he is. I mean if you two aren't too scared." She chuckles and she exits.

I walk backstage and sit on a bench. I sigh and lean back against the wall. I'm sweating a lot and I'm trying to cool down.

I open my eyes and see Roman walking out of the locker room. He lets his hair down and I get this huge urge to run to him and ask him what's wrong.

I get up and turn the opposite way but the urge is too strong and I can't help walking to him. He sees me walking to him and turns the other way. I feel my heart break a little.

"Roman." I say quietly stopping. He turns around and looks at me. "Hey." He says almost whispering. "Why haven't you talked to me?" I say my voice almost cracking.

"I just- I, I can't talk right now Paige. I have a match up next." He says. I nod my head looking at the floor. "Okay."

"Yeah. Sorry." He says, "It's fine. It's fine. Just to let you know you don't have to agree to do the match at Battleground." I say avoiding eye contact.

"No, I'm going to do it." He says. "Okay." I say hoping that he says something about why he's been acting this way with me but he doesn't. "Okay." He says and then he walks away. "Okay." I whisper sadly hearing his footsteps vanish.