♦️ Chapter 14 || The Bucket ♦️

Chapter 14 || The Bucket
🔹🔹🔹🔹
**Nicole's POV**

I took my usual seat in English as the bell rang. I neatly placed my note book, pen, and the class book - Pride and Prejudice - on my desk.

I had read Pride and Prejudice a bunch of times before so this was going to be an easy A.

Once the class was settled Ms. Cast began to say "Alright class, I hope you did your homework."

Of course I did.

"Because one lucky person is going to give us a synopsis of what you have read" she said as she pulled out the bucket.

Oooh God.... Not the bucket.

That bucket causes me the most anxiety.

That bucket contains each and every name in the classroom.

Whoever's name get pulled from that bucket by the teacher has to do what was asked by the teacher. No exceptions.

The only way to prevent the bucket is if someone volunteers - but no one ever does.

"Do we have any volunteers?" She asked as she scanned the classroom.

I looked around the room to see if anyone has raised their hands but the only thing I found was Jake staring at me.

"Anyone at all?" She said.

I immediately turned and look right at my desk.

"Last chance before I use the bucket." She waited for someone to volunteer but no one did.

"Alright the bucket it is." She dug her hand into the bucket and began mixing the names.

Please don't be me. Please don't be me. Please don't be -

"Nicole" Ms. Cast stated with sorrow in her eyes as if to say, I'm sorry.

I had Ms. Cast last year. We grew very close. She always helped me with work and she recommended me books all the time. She has come to understand my fear of public speaking and has been trying to help me with it.

Most teachers would say the only way to overcome this fear is to talk in front of others but no, not for me. If I do that it will only make things worse. I can't seem to form words and I feel like I'm going to pass out every time.

I slowly stood up with the book in my hand and made my way to the front of the class room. All eyes were on me.

Including Jake.

I took my place dead center in the front and opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out.

My hands became clammy and my legs began to shake.

"Now Nicole." Ms. Cast said to aid me, "Just tell us a little bit about what you have read. Nothing major, just a quick synopsis."

I nodded, "Well..." I spoke as my eyes unintentionally scanned the classroom "The - um - in the book.... " my mind froze and I just stopped. I took a deep breath in an attempt to calm myself down but only made things worse.