CHAPTER NINETEEN

"Hey." he smiled. He gave me a hug, in which I reluctantly gave him one back.

He was alone, and it was just us and Jessie akwardly standing beside me. I had no idea where Abby, Amanda, or Annie were.

"Hi." I said, with no emotion whatsoever.

"Where did you go on Saturday?" He asked. "I came back down and you were gone."

"Oh really?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. "Was I?"

"Uh, yeah?"

I chuckled an sarcastic chuckle. "And how did you know this? Did Luke have to come and tell you because you were too busy throwing your lips all over 'Christine'? or was it 'Stephanie'?"

Nick's eyes widened slightly, and I knew he knew what was up.

"I- I don't know what you're talking about." Nick said. By now, Jessie had backed up slightly, with the rest of our group near by.

"Oh, shut the fuck up, Nick!" I said, my voice raising. Jessie looked surprised at my choice of words, as well as Nick.

A few people were looking at us, but nothing too big.

"Excuse me?" He said, stepping closer. "What did you just say?"

I was about to back up, but I stood my ground. "I said...Shut. The fuck. Up."

Nick looked perplexed, and I could tell he was looking for something to say back.

"Wow, what's the matter with you?" He almost slurred. It was now or never.

"You fucking played me!" I yelled. I could feel more eyes turning towards us, and I heard Abby mutter something under her breath. I didn't care. I kept yelling. "You made me feel so welcome to this school, so welcome! I looked forward to coming to chemistry everyday because that meant I could sit next to you and talk to you! You were so nice to me, and I thought you were the perfect person for me. You were sweet, charming, attractive, but it was all fake. Turns out, you just use girls, like trash!"

By now, a whole circle of people were surrounding us. I recognized people I saw at the party, some of Nick's friends, and other people I did not know.

Once again, I didn't care. In fact, I decided to let everyone know. I turned away from Nick and spoke to the crowd of curious teenagers. "You think I'm crazy, but I'm not. This little prick-"

"Brooke, that's enough."

"-led me on, and I feel like an idiot! A complete idiot! And I know there are some people listening to me right now what can relate to this."

"BROOKE-"

I turned back to Nick, who looked furious. I didn't care, again, and I turned back to everyone else. "What, Nick? What could you possibly say that would-"

"Brooke!" I heard Jessie's shriek.

"What-?" I spun around to face Jessie, but I was taken back by Nick's hand. The look on his face was pure anger and embarrasment as a horrible, terrible, unbareable stinging sensation was spread across my face. His long nails scratched me and I tripped over my own feet as I stumbled back, in shock. It seemed to happen to fast, but I knew wha had happened.

Nick just slapped me.

"What the hell, Nick?" Jessie yelled, rushing to my side. At this point, I could feel blood coming to the cut on my cheek.

"She deserved it-" Nick started to say, but another voice, another very angry voice echoed through the air.

"WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY?"

I looked up to see Ashton. His body was up against Nick's, his hands grabbed onto his collar. I couldn't see his face, but by the way he stood and the way the veins of his arms stook out, and how scared Nick looked, I could tell Ashton was very angry.

"I-"

"NO, WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY?"

"GET THE FUCK OFF ME!"

Nick pushed Ashton back, but Ashton shoved him again, harder. Nick threw his fist up in the air. and I screamed. Ashton ducked and socked Nick right the face. Nick stumbled back and almost fell onto the ground. Blood was coming through at the top of Nick's forehead.

My eyes shot over to everyone around us. All the jocks were cheering on Nick as all the others were cheering on Ashton. Jessie looked horrifed, as I probably did too.

Ashton continued to punch Nick in the face, and by now they were on the ground. I knew I needed to do something, but I didn't know what to do.

"Why is he-" Jessie started to say, but I didn't pay attention. I rushed forward, and grabbed Ashton by the wrist.

"Ashton-"

"Brooke." He said as he turned around. The anger in his eyes changed to concern and worry almost instantly. Someone said something in the crowd of people around us, and I looked passed Ashton to see Nick back on his feet. I could tell he was more after Ashton than me at this point.

Ashton turned just as Nick raised his large fist the air. I didn't care at this point. I lunged forward and slapped the living shit out of Nick. I slapped him much harder than he could slap me.

My hand came into contact with Nick's face. The power of my blow seemed to surge back into me. Nick fell back, holding his hand against his face. He cursed under his breath, and I could hear a buch of "OOOOOOOOO"s coming from all of Ashton's friends.

As Nick got back up, Fear washed over me. Ashton seemed to have read my mind, because he quickly put his strong arm infront of me, and we backed up a little.

Suddenly, I heard a shout come from somewhere outside the crowd of people. Everyone began to scatter, and I knew it was Mr. Vallen. He and the assistant principle came running out, a horrified look on their faces. They looked at me, and my bloody face, and Nick, and his bloody face, and Ashton shoved his bloody knuckles into his pockets.

"What is going on?!" Mr. Vallen said angrily.

"He slapped-" I started to say, but Ashton tugged on my hand to shut me up so I didn't start anything else. I shot a look over to Jessie, who looked just as confused as anyone else. I looked up at Ashton. His veins were still prominant along his neck and his jawline was very tense. He eyed both Nick and Mr. Vallen, his grasp on my forearm getting tighter.