CHAPTER FOURTY ONE

"How long are you gonna be at Jessie's?" My mother asked as we pulled up to Jessie's house. The car ride was silent, but only because I could barely hear myself think straight.

"Um. I don't know. I'll text you." I said, opening the car door. I gave my mother a nod of farewell, and walked up to Jessie's front door, my heart pounding and my hands sweating. I didn't know why I was so nervous, but I was. I was scared of the fact that I could possibly lose Jessie as a friend, or that she'll say something really mean about me or Ashton. I stood infront of Jessie's door, almost motionless. I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. And waited.

It seemed like I was waiting there for hours, but it was probably only 20 seconds.

Jessie was standing there, her hand still grasping the door. "Hey." She said.

"Hi." I replied.

"Here, come in." Jessie said as she stepped out of the way to let me in. I stepped into her living room, and shut the door behind me. I rested my back against it, incase I was to bolt out of there.

"So-" I started to say, but Jessie's angry voice interrupted me.

"Whats going on." It wasn't even a question, it was like she was demanding me that I tell her.

"What do you mean?" I asked, even though I knew exactly what she was talking about.

"Brooke don't play stupid," Jessie spat. I could tell she was already furious, and I was starting to feel the same way. "I know there's something going on between you and Ashton."

I glared at he for a moment, and she raised her eyebrows at me.

"Why would you like to know?" I challenged her.

"What the fuck are you talking about? Just answer my question!"

I prayed to God that none of her family was home, because I could tell by the end of this discussion we're both gonna be yelling and swearing our asses off. I didn't care, though.

Before I could say anything, Jessie kept talking. "If you really thought you could hide anything from me, you're just plain stupid." She finished with a sarcastic smirk, but kept her gaze on mine. 

I began to feel my cheeks get hot and my hands were sweating profusely. I bit my lower lip and stepped forward, taking my back off the front door.

"Excuse me?" I said.

Jessie let out a small, heartless chuckle. "I said you're stupid. Because you are."

"What the hell, Jessie?" I said, my voice raising. "Why do you care so much about this?"

"You still haven't answered my question." Her tone of voice was so sassy, yet so angry and mean and rude. 

"Answer mine, first." I retorted.

"Thats not how it works." Jessie said, crossing her arms over her chest. We both went silent for a few moments, then she sighed. "Look, I just don't want you around him. You obviously have no idea-"

Thats it, I'm done with this. I felt my hands go into tight fists at my side, and I decided not to let her finish the stupid statement she was about to make.

"Shut the fuck up, Jessie," I snarled. I could tell I sounded like a durranged animal, but once again, I don't care. "Because guess what?"

"What?"

"I must not be that incredibly stupid, because I've been keeping this a secret ever since the second week of school!"

Jessie's eyes widened, and she spoke very quitly yet very harshley. "What are you talking about?"