CHAPTER FIFTY THREE

I shoved my hands in my pockets as I walked by myself into the courtyard that thursday afternoon. One more day until the weekend, thank fucking God. This week has actually gone by really fast, now that I think about it. It felt like just 10 minutes ago I was sitting at Brooke's kitchen table, staring at that hideous bruise on her mum's leg. From the way it looked so familiar, I knew it wasn't what she had told me it was. I barely know Brooke's mother, but I can sense that worried and paniced tone of voice she had from anyone. My mum used to always sound like that, from what I can remember.

I'm not saying Brooke's dad... you know, does that stuff to her or anything, because how could I possibly know what exactly happens in that house? But I'm also not stupid to not worry about it. Maybe it could be nothing, but maybe it could be something really bad. I prayed it was the first option.

I had no idea where I was going, I think I've done 3 circles around the courtyard, but I really didn't feel like sitting in history for 2 hours. I wish I was in art with Brooke, but that was earlier today, and it was really fun. Like always, obviously. I loved to just look at her during class. I find myself getting distracted by all the cute little things she does from across the table, without her notciing that I've been watching her for 10 minutes straight. That probably sounds really creepy but I don't really care. Ugh. She's so prefect.

My thought's were interrupted by a faint, familiar voice behind me. "Ashton."

I turned around, and saw Luke walking towards me. I smiled, stopping my moving feet to let him catch up to me. My eye brows raised as I looked down to the shirt he wore.

"You went to warped tour?" I asked, astonished.

"Yeah," Luke replied, now standing across from me. "Did you?"

I was surprised, because I wouldn't think of Luke as the kind of guy to go to that. I always imagined his family going to like the opera or something lame and expensive like that. "Nah," I replied. "That shit costed too much."

"Aw, dude you should've went!" Luke said. "I would've taken you with me instead of Nick. He hated it."

"I could see that." I laughed. My heart cringed at the mention of that little prick.

"Yeah," Luke chuckled. "He listens to such shit music."

I coud see that as well," I replied. "Who played?" I asked. 

"Sleeping with Sirens, Relient K, uh... Mayday Parade, Allstar Weekend, All Time Low-"

"Fuck," I groaned. "I would've loved to be there." Well shit, I was jealous of him. Again.

"I'm gonna try to get tickets again for next year," Luke assured. "I'll diffidently take me."

"Aw thanks man," I replied with a hopeful smile. "Did you get like, backstage passes or anything?"

Luke nodded, and my eyes widened even more. "What the hell, man!" I said. "Who did you meet?"

"It took so much persuading, but I got to meet everyone," Luke replied. "I got Jack Barakat to sign my guitar and I swear to God I think I pissed myself while in his presence."

"Dude that would literally be me," I laughed, but ceased when I realized what he just said. "Wait, you play guitar?"

"Yeah, a little, I guess..." Luke's voice trailed off. "...okay, a lot."

I nodded slowly, my lips slightly pursed. "Do you...uh, sing, at all?" My mind had thought back to my desperate band, who still didn't feel complete.

"Fuck yes, I love it." Luke replied with a smile. 

"Well," I laughed. "I guess you have to show me what you've got."

"Right here? Now?" Luke asked. "No way!  mean, I like to sing when I'm alone in my room but I'm not that good. Can you?"

"Yeah, I guess," I said. "But I'm more of a drummer."

"Really?" Luke asked. "I could see that, actually."

"Yeah," I laughed. I guess now was the time to try and hint at him. "I'm actually in a band-"

"Really? Dude that's sick," Luke said. "With who else?"

"Do you know Michael?" I asked.

"Clifford? He sits infront of me in pre-calc. He scares the shit out of me."

I let out a laugh, taking my hands out of my pockets and folding my arms over my chest. "And Calum."

"I've heard of him." Luke nodded.

"You know," I said after an awkward pause. "We really need a lead singer-"

"Oh, don't look at me." Luke interrupted. 

"Why? C'mon!" I said. 

"I don't think your friends, uh, really like me?" Luke's body shifted uncomfortably.

"Nah man, they just don't know you," I assured him. "I mean, I used to hate you but then we actually talked."

Luke laughed, and I joined him. "Look," I continued to talk. "Just come over tomorrow night and jam with us. I'll be there, and I promise you it won't be akward or anything." I knew I was lying, but something told me this kid might actually be really talented and a huge help to our band. Luke was silent for a while, so I spoke up again.

"Brooke will probably be there," I said. "You know her, right?"

"Yeah, I think she hates me too." Luke's laugh that followed his words was pretty empty. That made sense, considering his girlfriend is Jessie. Oh shit, I forgot about that.

"Please?" I pleaded. There was another moment of silence.

"Alright, alright," Luke finally said. "I'll need you to be my ride, though."

"Yay!" I cheered. "Deffidently, man. I'll see you then."

Luke, noded, and we both said goodbye for now. Luke turned, and walked back towards his class, and I decided to go to the library and read something.

...

"Absolutely not." Michael said. We were in his bedroom, completely dominating at Call of Duty. 

"C'mon, man!" I said, my fingers spazzing over the bottons of the controller to kill the zombie infront of me. "Luke's a nice guy."

"How do you know this?" Michael asked. I looked over to him, ad his eyes were squinted in focus as he stared at the screen. My eyes shot back to the TV as I saw my guy get shot. 

"Fuck," I muttered, re-filling my snipper with amo. "And I know this because I've talked to him a couple times. He kind of defended me, one time." My mind went back to the time I ran into Luke and Nick at the gas station, and how Luke wasn't a total douche bag like Nick.

"Okay, well, I really don't like the vibe he gives me." was Michael's reply.

"What kind of a vibe is that?" I challenged him. I fired my bullets at someone, moving on to find my next victim.

"Just- SHIT cover me," Michael said. I groaned, but covered for him until his gun was full of amo again. "Just like, rich and snobby."

"Yeah, I get it," I said. "But he's actually really nice. Please? Just for one night. And if you still don't like him, then we won't have him in our band."

"Fine." Michael finally said. I fired my last bullets at him, making his guy die. Michael slumped his hunched back against the bed frame and looked over at me.

"I win." I smiled.