Chapter 9: The Ailing Duke

Natalia's POV

"This is your room, Ms. Petropoulis. I hope you find everything you needed," Ms. Yulia said as she walks in across the large ensuite bedroom. I've been here in this palace, and it's the same room I've used during the time of my stay. "Once you're settled, I'll be happy to bring you to his highness," Ms. Yulia bowed lightly before leaving me at once.

I can't believe I'm in Russia. As soon as the captain welcomes us in Russia, I already knew who the duke was. My heart never settled until we got here. I'm just glad he wasn't anywhere when we arrived. Ms. Yulia led me to the grand staircase that was covered with red furry carpet, and to my room.

She had told me that the grand duke is resting in his room and will meet me first thing in the morning.

I quickly dialed Angelik. Her phone was just ringing. I tried it again and then I heard her groggy voice. "Hey, I'm sorry if I woke you up," I started.

"No, not at all. I'm off tomorrow, so no worries. I can sleep in," she shortly replied. "How's the flight?" she asked.

"It was smooth." I sighed.

"Is something wrong?"

I perched on the side of the king size four poster bed. "I'm in Russia. The Duke I was supposed to take care is Rafael's grandfather," I said and I hear nothing from the other line after a soft gasped. I'm sure she's as stunned as I am.

"Holy smokes!" she exclaims after a long pause.

"I don't know what to think," I said as I dropped my exhausted body onto the soft mattress.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Angelik suspicious tone had me nodding to myself.

"I know what you are thinking, Angelik. Honestly, I don't want to think about it. I'll see how he really feels tomorrow, then I'll conclude. I honestly don't think the old Duke would concoct such schemes. It's not his kind, don't you think?" I said, sighing momentarily. My hand rested on my forehead as I stared at the tall ceiling.

I heard her sighed. "Yes, you are right. I don't think he would do such thing. Unless it's all Rafael's plan," she rambles and my forehead furrowed deeply.

"You are right!" I exclaimed incredulously. Anger starting to resurface. "He might have planned this," I mumbled, utterly unimpressed. "He better has a good reason for this, otherwise, I'm gonna hate him forever!" I grit out.

I heard Angelik burst out into waves of laughter. "Well, if he did, he must really love you. Lucky girl!" Angelik teased and I just shook my head in disbelief.

"Cut it out, Angelik. We both know that's a lie. He doesn't have a heart. He's a selfish man!" I grit out, deeply annoyed. She only responded me with a chuckle.

"I'll let you go. I called just to let you know I arrived safely." I said and after she said her goodbyes, I ended the call.

.

.

"You highness," I greeted as I gave him a small bow. I can see the smile he's trying to suppress. Whatever the grand duke was thinking, I have no idea.

"Please, call me grandpa. You always did, did you?" he looks so warm and very healthy. I nodded as I let out a soft chuckle. I'm always fond of him. He's sweet and loving grandfather.

He slowly got out of the bed and I quickly walk to the side of the bed and help him on his feet. "Welcome back to my humble palace," he smiled and gave me a hug.

"Thank you," I said as I returned his hug and smile, then pulled myself away. I can't bring myself to get mad at him. He is as always the sweet, kindhearted old duke. "Excuse me for being so nosy, grandpa. But you look so well," I couldn't contain spilling my observations. My curiosity is eating me up and I needed to know what are their games, or if there was. I'm not really good at guessing nor reading people's mind.