Chapter 10: The Mysterious Girl

Raffy's POV

"How are you feeling?" I asked as I sat on one of the armchairs in my grandfather's bedchambers. He looks so well and I felt relieved, but still, heart disease is sneaky. I crossed my one leg over the other and clasped my hands on my lap, leaning my back against the back support of the soft leathered chair.

My grandfather gave me a smile, his eyes filled with fondness. It was obvious that I was his favorite grandson since I came out first, and next came Bell.

"I feel a little unwell, but nothing can stop the old man to have fun," he chuckled at his own joke. I just shook my head, a small smile creeps up over my face.

"So," he grinned as he sat on the adjacent chair — the same victorian style — and fixed his robe, then leaned his back. His eyes never leaving me. "How was the show?" he asked.

"It's fantastic. It was packed, and it was well organized. The team did an amazing job," I smiled at him. He shook his head with a wide smile on his face.

"I'm glad," he said.

"So what exactly was the findings?" I asked as I stared seriously at him. Grandpa gave me a quizzical stare. I sat upright, unclasping my hand, resting my elbows on the armrest of the chair, and regarded him intently. "Your health, grandpa," I clarified briefly, giving him a pointed look.

"Oh," he smiled as he shifted on his seat. He looks away and waved his hand, trying to dismiss the topic. "Don't worry. It's nothing serious!" he chuckled and I nodded. He seems fine so I decided to not pursue the topic. I thought to just talk to his doctor. I'll find out about his illness and if we need to bring him a specialist, then I will.

"Alright," I said. Then I remember that girl. "Grandpa," he raised an eyebrow as he averted his gaze at me. "Did you hire a new employee?" I asked.

He shook his head as he chuckles, his eyes avoiding mine. "No, I don't think we need more people here, do we?" he looks at me briefly, then looks away shortly.

He was acting a little weird, but I shook that thought off. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, or I'm thinking too much. I remembered to do resume my work left in my office.

I slowly rose from my seat and fixed my coat. "I need to go, grandpa. I have pending works to resume," I said and he nodded his head as he rose up. I gave him a brief hug and I felt his hand patted my back softly.

"I'll see you tonight at dinner," grandpa said and I nodded.

Before I reach the door, "Raffy," he said causing me to stop mid-stride and turns to face him. "When did we organize a ball here?" grandpa asked.

I frowned in confusion as I shook my head. "I don't know. Maybe fifteen years ago?" I responded with uncertainty. Grandpa nodded. I don't know what's running in his head. We throw parties here every year, but only close friends were invited. Usually just birthday parties or anniversaries.

"Well, I guess it's time to throw a ball. Tell Osvaldo and Yulia to plan the grand ball, invite all our good friends and royalties. I want this ball to be memorable," grandpa enthusiastically proclaimed, his face glowing and I stared at him, confused.

"I thought you'd like to keep our life private?" I frowned.

Grandpa smiled broadly. "It's getting boring here in the palace, don't you think?" he mused as he walks towards his four poster bed. "And my friend, the duke of Spain had been pestering me to throw a ball here in our palace. It's been a while since the palace threw a ball," Grandpa perched on the side of his bed then pulled the thick blanket and tossed it to the foot of the bed. "You need to have fun, too." Grandpa smiled and propped his back against the headboard, then took the magazine that was sitting on his side table and his glasses, then put it on.