Chapter 18: Hopeless

Natalia's POV

"When was the last time you had your cleaning?" Irina asked as she pulled two ivory gloves from the box that looks like kleenex box, then put it on as she watched me climbed up on the blue dental chair.

"Not quite sure, eight months perhaps?" I responded shortly, then sat comfortably on the blue dental chair, watching her do things while blabbering.

"You know how excited I was to finally meet you? We just saw you on magazines, pictures, but never in person. Raffy had been talking about you, but he never introduces you to us," she rambled continuously, her enthusiasm was very contagious, I can't help but smile at her. She turned her head and grinned, "that jerk is completely whipped, no denying of that!" she giggled.

"I don't think so," I opposed, shaking my head in disagreement, though I was smiling, thoroughly amused by her.

"Believe me, Natalia. He wasn't the type who will spend his time bringing his girl to a dentist, and wait for her at the waiting area, for God knows how long. He'd rather spend his time behind his desk, and doing work, or going to charity events where he could possibly meet some willing preys instead of sitting in the waiting area, doing nothing" She winks at me, and I wonder how much she had known him. "One thing you should know about men, time is precious for them. They don't spend their time on something they thought doesn't mean much," she gave me a pointed look, and I smiled.

She should be a love guru, instead of a dentist.

"You sure knows a lot about men," I grinned. She nodded enthusiastically.

"I hang out mostly with men. They are fun," she grinned, "but not the kind of fun people think about," she quickly clarified. "Yes. Most of my cousins were men, and my friends were mostly men, that includes his grace," she admitted. "Honestly, fun is real when you're with them, nothing like when you're with girlfriends. No offense meant!" she quickly looked at me as she explained, and continued on. "My life is already a big drama, and I don't need more drama. Men are straight, no chaser!" she elucidated. I felt a little offended, but at the same time, I get her point.

"Oh jeez ... I'm sorry, I forget why you're here," she chuckled softly.

She turned to the small counter, where a small sink was mounted, a big brown bottle of mouthwash, sitting next to the sink, and a stack of a small red plastic cups.

She took one of the small cups, then pour some of the mouthwash, then she handed it to me. "Here," she smiled, and I took it with appreciation.

I swigged the mouthwash, swishing the liquid around my mouth for a few seconds, then into the back of my throat for another few seconds, almost gagging me, before spitting it back into the cup, and then handed the cup back to her.

She took it with a smile, dumped the liquid into the small sink, then tossed the small cup into the small trash bin under the sink.

"All right," she chuckled, then proceeded to put a paper towel on my chest, then motioned me to lay on my back.

I leaned back with my feet propped up. She adjusted the chair, reclining it down, then sat on the stool, next to me, almost like cradling my head. She reached up for the dental operating light, then adjusted the angle, lights directed to my mouth.

"I have three hygienists doing the cleaning actually, but the other one had the flu, and she's been ill for over a week. She hasn't come back, and so my two other, were slammed," she explained casually. "So lucky you, my next patient canceled her appointment," she chirped, causing me to smile at her in appreciation.

"Thank you!" I said softly, but she just waved it off and smiled sweetly.

"My pleasure, Natalia," she smiled. "I never thought I would do the honor to clean your teeth," she chuckled softly. I just nodded my head.