Chapter 14: Resistance

Raffy's POV

Grandpa was just about to retire to his bed when I walked into his room. He gave me a curious look, his eyes looking me up and down in a curious gaze, then he spoke.

"You look like you just came from a brawl," he impassively pointed out, his eyes filled with disapproval.

He looks over my shoulder and I felt his secretary behind me. "Your grace," I heard her greeted, her tone depicts apprehension. I don't know who's she is referring to. I turned to look at her coldly, silently giving her the look of disapproval for interrupting us.

"I'm sorry, but his grace needs to take a rest," she subtly implored, and I gave her that look that would intimidate anyone.

"It's alright, Yuliana. You can retire now, I'll talk to my grandson," he said. Yuliana curtsied rather clumsily, avoiding my cold gaze then hastily disappeared through the door.

I turned my attention to my grandfather as soon as the door shut. "Don't scare the poor woman," he slightly chuckled. I shook my head, my hands curling tightly into balls inside my pockets.

I'm trying to hold onto my temper, I don't want to explode in front of my grandfather. I always respect him, even if he lied to me. "What is it, Raffy?" he asked as he perched on the edge of his four poster bed. He looks rather energetic, I'm starting to think that he's faking his illness.

"Where is Natalia's room?" I fire straight away without blinking. He looks surprised, but it vanished promptly. He chuckled, less amused as he shook his head.

"Son, leave her be for now. I need an attentive nurse," he stated firmly, but that didn't faze me, desperation overpowering me.

"I need to talk to her, grandpa!" I seethed, unable to control my tone.

He let out a soft sighed. "Don't you think it's not a good idea? You look rather murderous, Rafael. I don't want you to scare her away. You'll just make it worst," he admonished, shaking his head. He pulled the covers down, then crawled up to his bed.

I could feel my muscles tensing, staring at him darkly. I don't know how long would I last, my temper feels bursting. I knew he's not pleased, the way he called me with my name, but that didn't stop me from knowing. "Please, grandpa. I need to talk to her!" I can't contain but snapped.

The old duke stared at me, regarding me intently. After a long tensed silence, he caves in. His eyes soften, he looks rather older. "You are as temperamental as your father! Your name really fitted you, I don't know what Am I gonna do with you. Spoiling you too much really made you worse than your father!" he shook his head in resignation, his eyes filled with regrets. "Your mom was right, I raised you spoiled, and immature," he blabbered to my chagrin. At the same time, disapproving his words, but I held the urge to protest. At some point, he was right. I felt it seeped into me, awakening something in me.

My clenched hands loosen, I involuntarily ran my hairs with my fingers with growing frustration. "She is with Kaelan, just a while ago," I spewed out, my heart squeezed tightly as the words rolled out of my tongue, it tasted bitter in my mouth.

"And you're jealous?" grandpa probed, and I nodded involuntarily, swallowing thickly as I look away.

"She's in the same room the last time she was here," as soon as the needed information reached my ears, I quickly thank him, and then left swiftly, leaving my grandfather shaking his head. I didn't notice Yuliana still standing outside of the door, then walks in when I strode off.

I knocked on her door as soon as I reached it, but I heard nothing from the inside. I quickly twisted the knob and swung it open, darkness welcomes me. I turned the lights on, my temper, anticipation to see her, fused, causing me to feel mixed of emotions.