Chapter 30: Press Conference

Natalia's POV

"Are you sure about him?" Dad asked for the million times since the two Dukes left for the conference.

I gave him another withering look for the nth times, too. Mom groaned as she shot dad a warning look, and dad just cocked his brows as he lifted his shoulders in a half shrug. We are inside the palace's limo, heading to the hotel where they held the press conference. According to the driver or security behind the stirring wheel, protesters gathered at the front of Baltic Hotel. Protesters and non-protesters were camping at the front to either see the Dukes or protest against the Dukes.

My nerves were all over the place. I don't know what to expect from this live interview. I just hope the whole Pushkin will understand where he came from, and that he's just a human, he had some faults.

We are not Gods, nor we are perfect.

I let out an audible sigh as I dropped my gaze on my hands on my lap. Mom placed her hand over mine. "It will be all right," she cooed.

She was sitting next to me. Dad is sitting across us. Ember chose to stay in the palace after meeting William. When her eyes sparkled when it rested on him, I knew it instantly that she's smitten. But who knows? Ember had so many crushes.

Dad thought it will be safer, but if he finds out the reason why she chose to be left behind, I'm sure, dad preferred her with us.

I forced a small smile as I looked up to meet mom's eyes that mirrored mine. I slowly nodded, tears slowly accumulating in my eyes. Mom stroke my right cheek. "Everything will be alright," she consoled.

"Yeah," I replied, my voice came out broken. I swallowed hard to clear that lump that seems to grow thickly at the back of my throat.

She pulled me on her side, her hand curled around me in an embrace. I leaned against her shoulder and dad just watched us. I felt mom's lips against the top of my head.

Dad smiled when I met his gaze, and his face softened. That overwhelming love in his eyes is unmistakable.

The heavy tinted limo arrived at the street where the luxurious hotel was, and a throng of protesters moved towards the limo but was quickly seized by a group of police and securities, pushing them back to the side using their shield. Some had successfully escaped the guards and flanked on either side of the slow moving limo, knocking the heavy tinted windows.

I looked away as I drew in a long drag of air into my lungs, trying to relax. The limo stopped, and the sound of protesters was muffled. I looked out the window and noticed that we are in the underground garage.

The door slid open, and dad stepped out first, then assisted us out of the limo. I ran my palm down over my dress skirt, unconsciously smoothening the crease that had formed. I wore a skin tight black and white patterned bandage dress that highlighted my curves and Karina Christian Louboutin with red soles ankle boots.

I just let my hair hang loosely around my shoulders.

Securities flanked on either side of us, and behind us, making sure that no one can approach us, but looking around the quiet basement, it seemed that were the only people here.

I held my breath when the elevator started to move, slowly driving us to our destination. Then it stopped, and my heartbeat stopped, too.

I drew in a long, heavy breath, then followed dad with mom next to me. The securities were doing their job pretty well, concealing us from any protesters.

As we approach the ballroom hall's double door where they held the conference, the voices getting clearer. Securities quickly flanked around us as we stepped in into the door, two uniformed hotel's staffs held it for us on either side.