Chapter 27: Goodnight

Natalia's POV

I cocked an eyebrow at him. Does he want a parting kiss? Disappointment sagged through me. He's giving up on me. Thought that's starting to suck all the energy left in me. My shoulder slightly slumped from disappointment. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I forced a small smile as I straightened my shoulders. "If you insist, Your Grace. A parting kiss indeed!"

The words spilled out like dark chocolate, leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. Swallowing it down, I stood on my tippy toes, and tilted my head, puckering my lips to give his right cheek his parting kiss, but he stopped me before my lips touch his, grabbed my shoulders in a gentle way, and pulled himself away, a little, so our eyes met. Recognition slowly dawned on his handsome face. "A goodnight kiss, Iya." —his forehead wrinkled, drawn eyebrows lifted upwards — "Not a parting kiss, pumpkin, but I'm glad to know that William is not a threat to me anymore," he softly muttered, brushing the stray curls away from my cheeks and tucked it behind my ear. Relief suffused his features, so were mine. His mouth curved into a tender loving smile, and my heart melted. I couldn't even find my tongue as happiness overtook me. I thought he already gave up.

Stifling my happiness, I put on my straight face a look. He dropped his hands to his sides, his eyes holding my gaze, his orbs shining like the sun at midday. A small smile on the corner of his lips.

He looked visibly relax, too.

He ran his fingertip along the ridge of my nose, then tapped the tip of my nose gently.

"You just made me happy," he grinned.

I raised him an eyebrow, fighting my lips not to curled up into a smile. Biting my inner cheek, I faked a frown.

"How so?" I asked.

"For giving me a chance," he gave me a coy smile, lifting his shoulders in a shrug as he cocked his head sideways. And my heart made another flipped.

If he keeps acting like this, I'll be giving up so soon. My heart picked up its pace, I couldn't even think.

I faked a yawn. It's all I could think of to escape his hypnotizing eyes. My hand flew to my mouth as my lips parted wide, and drew in a long deep breathe through my mouth, and felt the air hit the back of my throat.

His face softened and had a thoughtful look. "We can talk tomorrow. I will let you rest now. Goodnight, pumpkin." He said in his gentle tone, and hope kindled from within me.

He placed a kiss on my nose, my eyelids shut in response, reveled in the feeling of his hot lips, then his lips dropped to mine. It was quick but full of passion, of deep longing I couldn't resist. When his lips left mine, a soft groan escaped my throat in disappointment.

I snapped my eyes open, meeting his. He gave me a slightly wolfish grin. "When we get married, you will get lots of it. I'm glad to know that you long for me as much as I longed for you, pumpkin. But I've got lots of things to do that I created myself, and you need a deserving man. I hope by then, I'll be the man you wanted me to be." He released me, then stepped back once "Sleepwell, pumpkin." With that, he turned on his heel and walked away.

My heart stuttered in panic as I watched his back retreating. I don't want him out of my sight yet. Just then I found my voice when he's several feet away. "I thought we are going to talk?" I exclaimed, my hands flung over my hips with my eyebrows down and drawn together.

He stopped mid-stride and turned swiftly. "Aren't you tired?" he asked. A small smile dancing on the corner of his lips. He looked visibly relax.

"Well, after what you've revealed, do you think I could sleep?" I shot back, frowning deeply at him.