Chapter 15: Banter

Natalia's POV

"Good morning, Yuliana!" I smiled at the old duke's secretary. She looks up from the Ipad, and her frown morphs into a smile when her eyes met mine. She clutches her iPad against her chest with both hands. She was wearing her usual attire, long sleeves white buttoned down crisp shirt tucked under her black crisp pencil cut skirt that reached below her knees, completed it with her four inches black heels. Her hair was neatly tied tightly in a bun, no strands were strayed.

"Good morning, Ms. Petropoulis," she greeted back with her stoic tone with a half smile. "Did you sleep well?" she asked politely and I nodded.

"Yes, and thank you," I responded enthusiastically. "Is his grace up already?" I asked as I glance at the closed door of the old duke's room then averted it back to Yuliana.

She nods her head stoically. "He's with Dr. Adam and his son, Dr. Kaelan, and they are waiting for you at the South wing private garden, the breakfast is set in the garden, Ms. Petropoulis. If you are ready, I can take you out there," she said voluntarily as she head first, and I followed her quietly.

Ater a long walk along the hallway, down the red carpeted stair steps, she led me to the balcony, series of doors, then down a marble concrete steps, to a tall double door iron gate, and into the garden which I realized was hiding in the back of the building. It was facing the river, and a pavilion, I remembered was the grotto. There are several private gardens in this palace. I've been here several times, but I've never seen the whole palace, it was huge it's impossible to roam around in a day.

The tulips bed, in different hues, are beautiful, and they are just vibrant, adding beauty to the already beautiful day. The sun is up, smiling down at me, blinding me, but it didn't fail to bring warmth to my heart, and the cool breeze just sets the temperature perfect, not too hot, and not too cold either. It's just perfect day, and it made me smile.

Just then I saw the oval iron table under the huge umbrella, set in the middle of the garden, there sat Dr. Adam and his son Kaelan, and at the middle, sat the old duke, his grace Nikolai Dmitri, and of course, his grandson. Even if his back is facing me, I know exactly how his back looks like. I hate how I know everything about him, I'm perfectly aware of, everything about him, they are tattooed in my heart.

"Please, follow me, Ms. Petropoulis," Yuliana's impatient voice had me realized I was rooted to the ground. I spared her an apologetic glance before slowly following her. Dr. Adam rose from his seat when he saw us, his smile widening, and the old duke followed, he looks radiant, very healthy rather, then Kaelan, rose too, his eyes never leaving me, and then I felt his eyes, they bore into me like fire, burning my skin leaving it hot and tingly, it brings chaos inside me, it made my heart riot in its cage.

"Ms. Petropoulis," grandpa Nikolai greeted, his smile broadened. "I'm glad you joined us," he smiled, and slid out of his seat and walked towards the chair next to Raffy, when Raffy pulled it out for me, without rising from his seat. I gave Raffy a tentative smile, grateful, and averted it briefly to the gentlemen sitting across me.

Such a brat! I thought to myself, he didn't even look at me.

"Well, I'm glad my grandson has still manners left," the old duke jested playfully, then sat back to his chair which was next to Raffy.

"Good morning, gentlemen," I greeted cheerily, sparing each one a sweet smile, Kaelan nodded and wink at me. I heard Raffy growled lowly which cause me to shot him a glance, and he was just fiddling the hand of his teacup, staring at the little thing like it was the most fascinating thing in the world.

"Please, sit," grandpa said to no one particularly and we all sat, following him.

Then from behind me, three ladies arrived, each one brought something. The food was then served in front of us, they all look delicious.