Chpt # Shatten Katzen

Imagine, a city deep beneath the ground. The city is illuminated by colorful street lights on the sidewalks and lamps from inside the buildings and houses. This city shined as if it was a precious jewel hidden away under the cave.

Well, it may look beautiful and a delightful place from afar, but really...the city was a prison, a trash bin filled with garbage.

That's the Underground, the city beneath the walls.

From the far east, away from the city was an old building carved through the rocky cave wall, camouflaged by the vines, moss, debri, and shadows. I could see the city through the window from the highest floor. I could see it, in all its glory.

The Underground wouldn't be your vacation to go to but, I'll tell you it's the biggest attraction of illegal sh*t.

People nick-named it the City of Crime and don't get me started with how many Mafias and gangs there are, and their positions in ranks.

Hm? The Military Police you ask? You can find them in the black market and bars. They're making deals or wasting their lives like any other criminal.

Sure they can be a drag when they do patrols and try to catch wanted criminals for credit but it's not like they are hard to evade or even deal with.

Definitely not a safe place at all, not the best place to live in. But did we... the people here had a choice? If we could get out of here, we would have done that years ago.

All we could do was try to bring scraps on our plates without getting our throats cut, try to earn even a sliver of copper without getting detained, and try our very best to live in a miserable ditch for whatever reason.

This city was neglected, by the people who promised to take care of their kingdom. The city just ended up being a trash bin to throw everything they don't need.

Who would want a life like ours? People would rather sleep in a soft bed with no tomorrow, walk down the streets without the fear of being followed, eat under the sun, and everything mellow.

How do you get a life like that? The only way was to get out of this sh*t-hole. Go out of the cave and above the ceiling where the city of the walls stayed.

That's the place that the citizens of the Underground dreamed to live for. Everyone here would have at least dreamed to get the hell out of here. Who wouldn't?

Haha...

Obviously, I'm not one of those dreamers. I see no reason to leave.

It's a scarce, cruel, and unfair world, yes. The only ones who could survive were those who are strong to do so.

While many wished to get out of here, run away from their problems, and start "fresh", you'll see me make this place...my paradise.

I reverted my gaze from the window and stepped deeper into the building. Just as I headed a floor down, the atmosphere was different from the floor above.

All the windows were barricaded and covered.  The only source of light was the torches attached to the walls throughout the halls and other halls.

We did our best to make sure no one could find our base. No one could get here unless you asked the right people for directions and not get caught by the Military Police.

I walked down the halls with the blade of my dagger being flipped and played between my fingers.

"Louisa...are you even listening?" the person beside me asked.

I forgot he was with me. What was he talking about again? I didn't answer and only glanced at him, then continued walking down the halls.

My attention was more on footsteps my ears could detect from outside, than my friend who was talking to me by my side.