Chpt # You Can't Save Everyone

Louisa's POV

Instead of following the orders to fall back, I left in another direction. It seemed that Mikasa and I had the same idea so we left together.

"Schatten!? Where the heck are you going?" our superior asked who turned a glance and noticed our faces have faced away from them.

"None of your business," I replied before I took off.

"Ackerman!? Not you too?!" I heard our Superior shout.

Now only me and Mikasa were maneuvering around the rooftops.

I bet she's worried about Armin and especially Eren. Not only that, maybe her gut felt different about the situation.

The sky and atmosphere were grim and gloomy. My gut was also telling me something wrong happened. Hopefully, they are alright...Shinamy and Liyah.

We landed on a roof of a tower, in shock to find soldiers dwindling, sitting, and doing nothing.

"They heard the retreat signal right?" Mikasa asked.

"They're dumb if they didn't," I replied, then jumped down. I walked towards Jean and Connie who looked distressed for some reason.

"Hey Jean what we gonna do?!" I heard Connie ask.

"There's nothing we can do" Jean replied.

"Care to explain what's going on?" I stopped beside them.

"If only it's not because of those cowards..." Jean mumbled. He was hopelessly sitting down and gripping his head in frustration.

"All of us here ran out of gas," Connie answered.

I glanced at everyone, to find them all scattered throughout the rooftops. Their eyes that were once filled with determination were now empty to hopeless depression.

There were only a few...maybe just one who tried to lift their spirits. Sadly, whatever Sasha tried to say, she couldn't snap everyone with her 'optimism'.

"Tsk, ever heard of preserving gas?" I asked.

As I processed the words I said, I bit my tongue and told myself to shut up. I almost forgot I don't have enough gas left either. I wasted most of it to save the guy back at the rear.

"The supply squad isn't coming," Connie answered.

I sighed with disappointment to myself...or them and facepalmed.

"You lost a lot of gas too you know..." Mikasa pointed out.

"You don't have to rub it in...." I grumbled and glared at her.

"They might have been wiped out....or lost their fighting spirit," Jean quickly changed the subject.

Thinking about that was also depressing. Shinamy's part of the supply team.

Connie groaned heavily and shouted, "What are we gonna do then? Staying here is pointless, we better get moving and use the gas we have left and try thinning their numbers at least, or we will be completely screwed!!"

"For once you got a point there" I and jean replied in unison.

"Finally using his head," Jean chuckled and soon looked at the others.

"However with the current situation where the vanguards and veterans are all dead and all who were left are a bunch of rookies, I don't think they have the guts to take action..." Jean sighed and soon looked up to me.

Hmm, the town would be crawling with titans and so would be the HQ with the height of three to the 4-meter range. Surviving or even making an accomplishment wouldn't be guaranteed.