twenty-two.

Dinah Jane:

She hasn't spoken a word since we've been back to her parents home. The car ride from the park was quiet; too quiet and I couldn't help but to notice how Lauren stared off into space, obviously deep in thought. The moment we walking into the house she ran to Angie and cried in her arms. Seeing my girlfriend this broken really hurts because I don't know how to comfort her.

X

"She'll come around." A voice softly spoke, pulling me from my trance as I watched Lauren sleeping soundly on the bed.

I turned to see Taylor standing near the door with Gabby on her hip. "Has she ever told you much about your mom?" I asked.

Taylor sighed. "Just that she died...I never really asked because I always considered Angie and Sasha as my moms. Plus I always knew that the topic of her upset Lauren...I'm guessing it didn't go well?"

I shook my head. "Nope, not even close. Gabby isn't bothering you is she?"

Taylor smiled bright and poked Gabby's nose causing her to giggle. "No she's so sweet."

"I wish you guys would stop lying. She's a spawn of Satan." I joked.

She playfully rolled her eyes. "Yeah right...hey um can I talk to you about something?" She asked.

I nodded. "Y-yeah sure. What's up?"

"I'm scared." She mumbled.

I furrowed my eyebrows and stood from the bed. "Scared? About what?"

She started to cry and Gabby poured. She really didn't like to see other people cry and I definitely needed to get Taylor to stop crying before Gabby decided to cry as well.

"To die." She said just above a whisper.

I wrapped my arm around her and guided her the family room and over towards the sofa. Once she sat down Gabby climbed onto Taylor's lap and wiped her tears away. "No cry please Tay Tay."

Taylor smiled slightly. "See...she's sweet."

I chuckled and sat down as well. "Sweetheart what made you think of that?"

She shrugged. "Today at my water aerobics class I found out that another kid that I met at the hospital died last night...her name was Stormy and she had Leukemia. She and I met when I was 8 and she was 12. We became great friends and we'd always ask if I was afraid to die. Then I didn't know why she asked me that so I said no...but I am."

"I'm sorry about your friend Tay, but you know I think everyone is afraid to die...i am for sure but no one knows when it'll be their time to go."

"Yeah...it could be any day for me now." She said sadly.

She shouldn't be thinking like that.

"Taylor I thought you um-"

She scoffed. "Yeah you'd pretend to accept it too if you had mothers like mine. Ever since I can even remember they've shielded me, from nearly everything and every night Angie walks into my room to check on me, a few times I wake up in her arms and I know that it's because she's afraid. I don't like worrying them Dinah but it's not fair. I get treated like a baby. I'll never get to join the olympics, go to prom, or do anything because I could die any moment now. They moved me down on the list...it's like they're not even trying to help me anymore...or ever."

Hearing her talk like that made my heart ache. She's such a brace person and she smiles constantly but personally it's just to hide how afraid she is to face something that she's lived with all of her life.