Chapter Thirty

"Your mother is in the hospital."

Once the words process through my mind, all the worse types of scenarios flood in my mind.

"Wh-what happened?" I question practically screaming into the phone. "Hello, can someone answer me?!"

"Jasmine, your mother has stage 4 cancer." My dad answers, leaving me speechless and unable to move.

"Are you telling me, all these years, mom has been keeping her cancer away from me?"

My dad and stays quiet which in my head means yes. My head starts to spin, making everything around me go blurry.

****

beep .. beep .. beep

"I don't know. We told her about you and your current state and George said she just fainted." I hear my dad's voice, but I don't open my eyes.

"Honey, she'll be fine. I just need to talk to her. When she wakes up, it'll be the first thing I'll mention." My mom's voice fills my ears and my eyelids automatically shoot open.

"Ah, Jasmine, you're awake." My dad smiles down at me and kisses my forehead. "I'm going to head down to the cafeteria. If you want anything, give me a ring!" My dad cheers and I smile at him, but once he's out of view, my smiles turns into a frown.

"Jasmine." My mom calls out, her voice sounding unsteady and weak. "How have you been, baby?"

"I know you have cancer." I blurt out trying to avoid eye contact. My mom stays quiet, and the sound coming my machine is the only noise filling the room. "Why didn't you tell me? Why would you keep such a huge thing like this away from me?!"

"Jasmine, you don't underst-"

"Oh really mom? I don't? Actually, you're right! I don't understand why you didn't just tell me that you had cancer. I don't understand why you don't want me to know."

"I DIDN'T TELL YOU BECAUSE I LOVE YOU, OKAY?" My mom screams and cups her face in her hands. Tears spill from my eyes and I wrap my arms around my sick mother. "I didn't want to scare you. I wanted to be here for you without you having to worry about me, Jas. You have so much planned ahead of you that by telling you, I knew I'd ruin it for you- living your dream, I wanted you to see me as your mother and not as a charity case."

"Whatever state you're at, good or bad, you'll always be my mom."

"And you'll always be my little girl, Jasmine."

My mom wraps her arms around me and I cry on her shoulder. We stay like this until a nurse bursts through the door.

"It's time to head back, Mrs.Love." The nurse in blue scrubs cheers. My mom releases me and cups my face in her hands.

"I'm sorry for not telling you earlier, it's just that, you were going to school, traveling, going out with Niall- I didn't want you to start worrying about me."

I nod my head and flash my mom a weak smile. We sit in silence and the thoughts of not having my mom next to me in my life during huge mile stones in my life, sadden me.

"You get some rest, dear. I'll be in my room if you need anything." My mom says, kissing my forehead and dragging the machine connected to her out of the room. I sigh and pull the covers over me.

****

NIALL'S POV

I stare at my lock screen for the longest time before something comes in-contact with my arm. I look up and find a shirtless Harry.