Chapter Thirty-Seven

Author's Note:

Just a little something for you- wherever you are. :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

One week later.

JASMINE'S POV

After all the drama with Niall was settled, and I finally felt at ease and thought that maybe life was finally going the way I dreamed it would go. I promised myself that once a week I would take a break from everything and relax at my favorite coffee shop. Dressed and ready to go, I throw on my jacket and boots before heading out the door.

"I'm leaving!" I scream into the small tiny town house. "I'll be back in a few hours!"

"Have fun, Jasmine!" Mom screams from the kitchen. "Don't be out too late!"

"Don't worry, mom!" I scream. I smile at the fact that mom's been recovering so well since her last chemotherapy. The doctor's told us that she only had a few months to live, but I guess they were wrong because she kicked ass and proved them and the disease wrong.

"Bring me a bagel or something." Jackson pats my head before he disappears down the hallway. "With butter."

I roll my eyes at him and fling the door open. I bump into something on the way out and look up to find Ethan standing in front of me.

"Hey," I smile at Ethan.

ETHAN'S POV

This is it. Today's the day I let go of the love of my life. Standing on her porch in front of her door ready to knock, the door flies open before me.

"Hey," I reply as I stand in front of her.

"Hi." Jasmine smiles back at me with her pearly whites. "What are you doing here?"

"I-uh, just um, wanted to give you something." I pull out an envelope from my back pocket.

"A card?" Jasmine asks confused. "It's not even my birthday."

"Take it." I suggest while I slightly push the card towards her into her hand. "Seriously! It's really nothing special."

"Alright," Jasmine smiles and takes the card from my hand, staring down at it curiously. "I wonder what's inside, but I guess I trust you." She laughs.

"You're such a jerk." I roll my eyes and lightly push her. I look down at her and smile. "So," I say and awkwardly rock back and forth on my heels not knowing what to say. "Where are you heading off to?" I ask.

"Downtown to that shop you told me about a little while back? Uh-Secret Garden! You know, that tiny coffee shop on the corner of Bradley and Crook?" She replies.

"You still go there?" I asked surprised. "It's been awhile since I've stepped foot in that place."

"How could I not go there? That's where most of my life's best memories where made." She blushes and smiles down at her feet.

"Wow, seems like you're still in-love with that place, huh?" I laugh and stuff my hands back into my pockets.

"It's at the top of my list whenever I feel like I need to get away from everyone and everything, ya know?" Jasmine laughs and looks up at me with happy eyes.

"Yeah," I smile back at her. "I know that feeling."

Jasmine laughs and tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "So, where are you headed off to all alone?"

I smile at the ground then look up at Jasmine.

This is it, Ethan. This is it.

I clear my throat before speaking. "Heading wherever that little bad boy can take me." I point at my pickup truck that was filled with boxes.

"Wait," Jasmine pauses and looks at me in surprise. "Y-you're moving away? As of right now?" She stutters on her words.

I nod and smile down at Jasmine before pulling her into a hug, inhaling her scent for the first and last time.

"I'm going to start a clean slate at a place where no one knows me." I smile in her hair. "Maybe somewhere, wherever I end up, I'll be able to find myself again, Jas. Maybe I'll find the real me again."

Tearing up, I feel her squeeze me tighter. In force of habit, I rub her back and play with her hair. We stand there in each other's arms for about five minutes before I pull away. I take a few steps back and look into her perfect hazel watery eyes.

"I-uhm, gotta go. I don't know how long the drive will take," I say. "I-I'll miss you so much, Jas."

"I-I-I'll miss you so much too, Ethan." Jasmine says before planting a friendly kiss on my cheek. "Don't forget me." She wipes a tear away.

"I don't think I'll ever be able to, Jas." I smile back at her, making my way down her porch.

"Don't you dare think of it either." Jasmine laughs and waves goodbye. "Good luck- with everything!" She screams, still waving.

"Don't you dare read that card until I'm out of sight!" I yell back as I stride towards my pickup truck. I hop inside and buckle myself inside and start the engine.

Waving goodbye, and wiping the tears from my eyes, I see Jasmine secure the card in her handbag and walk down the street towards the coffee shop, before I pull away from her house towards my new life.

JASMINE'S POV

"Ms.Love, it's very nice to see you again. The usual, yes?" The barista asks from over the counter. "Hello? Ms.Love?"

I snap back into reality and smile at her. "Uhm, yeah, I'll take the usual, thanks."

"Coming right up," She speaks again, taking the money out of my hands and replacing it with my change. "Here you go." She smiles at me and hands me my cup of tea.

"Thanks," I smile and hand her a tip. I walk over towards my favorite spot in the little non-crowded coffee shop and set my bag down on the table. I take a sip out of my cup and pull out Ethan's card from my bag. Setting my cup down, I unfold the card and start reading.

Dear Jasmine,

They say that if you love something, set it free and if it comes back, it's yours. I've been waiting all this time for you to come back, but you never did, and I guess the only option here is to let go. How do you let go of someone who was once so close to your heart? Well let me tell you this; it isn't easy. So, to make this a bit easier, I'd like to thank you, for all the unforgetable memories we've shared together, and for all the lessons that will forever be planted in my heart. From teaching me that love isn't just something floating in the air that you find or feel, but it's also something that should never ever be taken advantage of. You showed me how much love can help someone who only knows the feeling of being let down, lonely, or scared. You showed me that there are still some decent caring people in this messed up world. You know, they say that everytime people fall in love, they risk the possibility of getting hurt. But that should't stop them from taking that risk. You, Jasmine, decided to continue to pick up my broken pieces, trying to fix me even though none of the pieces seemed to match. Maybe one day, wherever I end up, I'll be able to find someone who will help me pick up the left over pieces and join them with new ones. That is, new people, new adventures, and memories. And no matter how many counties, cities, or oceans separate us, I want you to know that I'll always be right there in your heart, and you'll always be right here in mine. This isn't a good bye, but more like a see you later.

So, I guess I'll see you later, Jasmine.

Love,
Ethan

Placing the card over my heart and closing my eyes, all the memories I've shared with Ethan come to my mind in a flashback. A tear rolls down my cheek and a smile makes it's way onto my face.

"See you later." I whisper to myself. "I'll see you later, Ethan."