Chapter Thirty-Three

The next morning, it's freezing. I sigh and roll out of bed at the crack of dawn. The sun hasn't risen yet and I'm already up. Great. I look over at my clock and it flashes: 6:32am.

"This is going to be a long day." I whisper to myself before waking out of my room in my tank top and comfy pajama pants. I walk straight into Jackson's room without knocking on the door for permission to enter. "Hey, are you awake?" I say as I shake my brother.

"Wh-what the hell?" He says in confusion. I take a step back so he can sit up. "Jasmine? What the hell do you want at-" He pauses and looks over at his clock. "At 6 in the morning?"

I walk back towards his bed and plop myself down on the edge of it. "I-I just wanted to talk." I whisper and fiddle with my fingers in my lap. "I don't want us to be fighting all the time."

I feel my brother shift and move closer beside me, sitting up next to me. I shut my eyes to block the tears from spilling, but it doesn't work. I feel a droplet of my tears roll down my cheek.

"You, mom and dad are my rock, my support group, and my family." I wipe away the tears on my stained cheek. "I can't afford to lose any of you."

"Go on." My brother says to let me know that he's listening. I take a deep breath and continue looking at my hands.

"I-I'm sorry for shutting you out over something so stupid. You love her and I know you were just doing what your heart desired, but I guess I was just angry and hurt that you picked her over us." I say before I start to sob.

"I loved her, Jasmine. I thought I did. She made me feel so special, but little did I know, she was only using me as a support system." My brother says as he stares out the window. "She used me until there was nothing left to be used. I was at rock bottom, but she didn't care."

"Jackson, you don't have to tell me abo-"

"No. I want to." My brother interrupts me and I nod. "You see, love can put you ontop of the world. It can make you feel superior to everything, but in a few seconds, all that can disappear and it can have you crumbling down with nothing."

"Do you still love her?" I ask and my brother nods.

"I'll always love her, Jas. She was my first and will always be. You can never forget the first person who made you feel wanted and loved." My brother says as he turns to face me. "Just how Ethan made you feel."

I knit my eyesbrows together and look at my brother. His expression is unreadable, but I understand what he's getting at.

"H-how do you know Ethan made me feel that way?" I question and my brother shakes his head.

"The way you looked at him the first day you guys started going out was filled with so much affection- pure love, but as months went by, the spark and light in your eyes turned dull. I'm not that stupid, Jasmine." Jackson jokes. I let out a weak chuckle and stare back down at my hands.

Jackson and I sit there in silence and throughout the intermission, I let the thoughts I've been blocking out for so long, fill and clog up my mind. I can't help but relate to my brother's words. It's like at some point in time, we were one person, and shared the same exact feelings.

"You're a really amazing big brother, you know that?" I laugh and smile at my brother with tears in my eyes. He laughs and shakes his head.

"It's kind of my job to keep you safe." He smiles back at me. "Even though you get on my nerves every damn day." Jackson laughs and nudges my elbow. I laugh and punch him in the arm.

"Thank you." I whisper and wrap my arms around my brother's neck and squeeze him. "I'm sorry for everything."

Jackson squeezes me and pats my back. "You're the one I should be thanking." He whispers, but doesn't let go of me. "Thank you for being the best, yet annoying little sister ever. I'm sorry too."