Chapter 10 - Still Guilty

Chapter 10 

I gulp, quickly locking my phone. I throw the phone on my bed before rushing out of the room, my heart beating rapidly. 

Why would Kian want to talk? We would have nothing to talk about. I mean, we aren't even friends anymore. We're both seeing other people now. 

I feel anxious, as if I'm afraid of being caught for something. But I'm not guilty of anything, right? 

I find Skylar sitting in the living room next to Angela who babbles quickly about her day. He sees me and quickly looks away. 

I feel bad about rejecting him, but at the same time, he can't get mad at me for not wanting to have sex. 

Why would Kian need to talk to me? 

Is this about the boyfriend-girlfriend tag I posted? Or does he just want to be friends? Or did him and Andrea break up? 

My hands shake and I can hardly stand still, so I go back to me room to calm down. 

Why does one text message have this kind of effect on me? It shouldn't. Kian shouldn't have any effect on me. We're over. Very over at that. The both of us now have new romantic interests in our life. 

Sitting down on my bed, I grab my phone, unlocking it and rereading the text. 

We need to talk. 

We need to talk. 

We need to talk. 

After reading and rereading the text message, I finally decide I should reply. 

"About what?" I type. I delete it, deciding that won't work. 

We need to talk. 

We need to talk. 

We need to talk. 

"Okay." 

I also delete that, also. It's too short. 

"Okay. When?" 

Before I decide that that message has something wrong with it, I press the send button quickly, releasing a breath that I didn't know I was holding. 

I lock the phone and set it on my bed, slowly getting off if the bed and walking out. My breathing is still uneven, and I feel like my head is about to explode. 

"Maddie!" Angela calls my name. "What are you doing tomorrow?" 

"Nothing," I say, then I remember. "School."

"After do you want to go to a party?" Angela offers, wiggling her eyebrows at me. 

"Uhm," I don't know how to respond. 

"Skylar is going," Angela tells me, winking. 

"Alright, I'll go," I tell her, walking to the kitchen. 

I open the fridge and stand there, staring blankly at all of the food. 

"You okay?" Skylar says. I don't turn around to look at him. 

My heartbeat quickens. Does he know? How could he already know? 

"Uh, yeah, I'm fine. I'm just looking for something to eat," I tell him, trying to seem as though I am seaerching the fridge for food. 

"Maddie, it's full of food," he says, walking up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist. I relax at his touch, but I can't stop feeling guilty. Do I really have something to be guilty about, though? It's not like I'm cheating on Skylar. 

I could never do that to Skylar. I know how terrible it is to hate myself because of a mistake like that, and I will never do anything like it again. Ever. 

I still think about when I cheated on Kian with my ex-boyfriend, Ryder. I still feel terrible about it, even though my relationship with Kian is long over. 

"Kian!" I groaned, my annoyance level so incredibly high I felt like screaming. 

"Maddie! I'm not going to stand here and be accused of something I didn't do!" he yelled at me, stepping closer to me. I felt his hot breath on my skin as it comes in short, ragged breaths.

"I didn't accuse you of anything! I was simply asking about her and the time the two of you spent together!" I said, my voice raising in volume. 

"Yeah, because you're tone was completely curious! I've known you for more than a year, I know how you think!" He growled, balling his hands into fists. I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. Honestly, I was a little suspicious. But it wasn't because i thought that Kian would do anything. It  was the fact that Haylee tries to make a move on any human with a pulse and a dick. 

"And really, Maddie? How could you accuse me of cheating and be mad about it? You cheated on me and look, we're still together! Maybe I should have ended things with you right there!" 

His words stung and I felt like someone just whacked me on the side of the head with a baseball bat. 

I looked away from Kian, tears filling my eyes. I stopped breathing, trying to take in what he just said. I took a step away. 

"Maddie...I," Kian started to say. He steps towards me, reaching for my arm. 

I step back out of his reach, bumping into the couch. 

"I didn't mean that Maddie," Kian said, standing still. I turned away from him before I walked to the bathroom where I broke down crying, guilt seeping into every single crack in my mind and heart. 

My body shakes slightly at the memory. I still feel as much guilt for kissing Ryder now as I did then, and I don't think that will ever change. 

"Are you sure you're okay?" Skylar says, closing the refridgerator door and turning me around. He puts his hands on either of my arms, gripping them as he looks me in the eyes. 

"Yeah, I'm just cold." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! 

It's December which means I will be posting! 

YAYYY

Okay, I'm sure that you all don't want a long Authors not but before i go, pleaseeeee go like my video on youtube! 

Look up "Unconditionally by Olivia Parker" and give it a thumbs up! Tell your friends! please! 

 Wake will be updated tomorrow!

xox -Delilah