C h a p t e r 17: He was a good man

Please don't forget to vote and comment.

You can always follow me on Twitter Emna_B_H.
Ask Emnabm2

Thank you.

Valencia

Her mind was getting in a mental war.

How? Why? Who did this to me?

Deep down, she knew that it may have something to do with the message Drake told her about.

But why?

The feeling of warmth on her cheeks made her realise that she was crying spontaneously.

She was walking home with Zack, the silence was marking his spot. With all what happened, she kept watching her brother, wondering about what's going on in his mind.

He didn't look at her, he didn't even notice her beside him. He was just moving, moving away from reality.

Once they're home, he walked inside without closing the door. Entering the living room, he tripped over the carpet. That event was enough to wake him up. He starts kicking everything in front of him, yelling and shouting:" Pigs! Liars! Jerks! How the fuck can this happen? "

Valencia jumped, scared of his change of attitude. She took a few steps towards him, put her hand on his shoulder to calm him and spoke in a stable tone:" Calm down Zack. This won't help anyone so please just calm down."

His expression went blank. He didn't look angry anymore. His shoulder relaxed but he didn't move. He stared at his feet toes for few minutes. His mind blocked all the thoughts and ideas that were crossing by.

Valencia turned around to go to her room, the only place where she can express the feeling she was keeping but Zack grabbed her hand, making her face him again.

"How can you be so calm about it?" He whispered, his voice full of pain and insecurity. "How? You're a suspect in a murder Val! You're in a big mess now! Just how can this happen? It's like you were expecting it! You didn't do it, didn't you?"

He was lost and something flashed in his eyes after asking her the last question but he decided not to show it. He simply blocked it out.

Valencia looked down. She smiled, she almost started laughing, even though her eyes were filled with tears. Oh boy. :" So it's been only an hour since the announcement and you decided to lose faith in me already?" She let her face drop. :" I won't blame you. You're still shocked and in denial and my change of personality didn't make it any better. Calm down."

"How can you accept it so easily? It's Arthur who's dead Val. You're being accused of killing one of our childhood friends, the man who treated both of us as if we were their young siblings."

She didn't answer him immediately. She couldn't look at him. It was more painful that he couldn't read the pain in her eyes, or try to imagine how confused she must be, to be feeling all sorts of emotions but not able to express any.

"He was family Zack. He was family to us. I didn't kill him. I can't kill, Zack it's not an easy thing to do! I'm not a monster!"

Lies. Lies. I am a monster.

"Don't let me turn into a murderer in your eyes. You have the right to have your doubts, but now, you're the only one who needs to believe I'm innocent. Don't let it get to your mind. You need to believe in me. You're why I'm still pretending to be fine. You're the only family I have, and if you let go of me now, I won't be able to stand up on my own."

In her mother's funeral, Arthur was there.
When she felt alone, Arthur was there.
When her dad died, Arthur was there.
In her depression, Arthur was there.

He was always there, behind, helping her without being in the picture, but he was always there. He was a quiet child and he grew up as a calm man.

How can I be accused of killing a young man I owe my life to?

***

Declan was shaking from head to toes. He couldn't cut what he witnessed from his head. It was a clear image of an awful thing.

His stomach got twisted and he felt like throwing up. He did, several times already, there was no longer anything to puke out.

I'm disgusting... This is disgusting.

He closed his eyes and leant on a wall, trying to find his breath. Time seems to pass, but nothing seems to get easier. He didn't know what to do as he was sweating, fighting his own demons to stop replaying the images in his mind.

"See that? Go and put these in the address I'm going to give you. This is all because of your Valencia. This is her mess and here you are cleaning it. Well, after all, it's better than being you or mother in these bags, right?" The man smirked at him, noticing how Declan's face turned green. The poor guy turns around and vomits. It smells bad, and the look was terrifying, burnt flesh, burnt human flesh.

Even him, he knew Arthur, he knew that he was a good man, and that's what made it more horrible.

Never in his life had he thought he'll be doing such thing, or facing such a horrible sight.

"Anyway, that's what the boss asked you to do. Watch out, we're watching you if you think of telling anyone anything you'll be the next one in bags. Haha, poor little guy you look on your edges. It's okay, you'll grow to love this."

"You're... sick." Declan managed to pronounce between his vomiting and tears. He was disgusted and sad. He was feeling so insecure and horrible. He just wanted to be out, away, forgetting everything.

"Stop being dramatic and get the job done. Boys these days... you can't even handle seeing a dead body." The amusement was clear in his tone. He was having the fun of his life at that moment. "Oh and don't forget to get back to your little slut's good side. The boss needs her to trust you."

Declan grabbed the water bottle with shaky hands.

Maybe if I told someone before, it wouldn't be the same? Maybe if I told Valencia when I got the chance...

We can't change our destiny, but while sculpting it, our goal is to make something beautiful, yet sometimes, you just can't stop yourself from falling into the ugly side to break and shutter.

His phone was ringing for a while but he didn't even listen. The voices in his mind were making a deafening noise.

It's funny how life works sometimes, isn't?

After several rings, he picked up in a tired, low voice. "Hello?"

"Oh, Declan..." The voice was delicate, calm voice.

With tears in his eyes and a fucked up situation, he managed to break a smile, a true one.

This voice... This person who's the reason of my decision and yet I can't blame...

***

What do you think of the story so far, except for the mistakes lol?

So who called Declan? And what Valencia's going to do?

I hope you enjoyed the chapter ♥ Shit is about to get down guys, hang on!

Enjoy the song!

See you soon.