C h a p t e r 36:Man Down

Please don't forget to vote and comment.

You can always follow me on Twitter Emna_B_H.
Ask Emnabm2.

Thank you.

Valencia

When life turns to be unfair

C h a p t e r 36: Man Down.

The truth is usually heart-rending, especially if it's coming from someone other than the one you needed to hear it from. It can crash the happy world you made in your mind to avoid facing the pain that will eventually be doubled.

Zack stood there, watching his sister getting away from his sight, a sad smile wearing her expressions as she let the last image in her mind be the one of her baby as he was reaching with his hands to touch the collar of Drake's shirt.

His face paralyzed when he realized who that baby is and he suddenly felt overwhelmed. His hands became sweaty and he just stood there, trying to keep his tears from falling, burying them inside along with his guilt.

He was lost and didn't know what he was supposed to do.

He knows he fucked up when it comes to his sister. In his last meeting with her, he just wanted her to deny that it was her baby. He started a fight without knowing what he's fighting for, which led to him standing in the wrong road, betraying what was left in Valencia of hope that he'll understand that her story is for her to tell not for him to dig in.

But seeing her child now made him melt of his cuteness and his own stupidity. Who cares how this angel came to life, maybe it was a mistake or maybe the mistake was imposed on her, after all, Valencia's life was too complicated to understand.

His steps were so slow and gentle on the floor as he was advancing in the chaos surrounding him to get to Drake. The innocent giggles silenced all the noise in Zack' ears and broke his heart with each step he took.

Drake noticed him and tensed. He doesn't know if Zack knows or not nor how much. Thomas was still busy taking care of his own business on the court, questioning anything that can help later.

Once Zack reached Drake, he just stopped. He opened and closed his mouth several times. He lost his voice and didn't know what to say.

The baby stopped playing and looked at Zack who froze once his eyes met Raymond. It was like his eyes told a million stories.

"Do you want to hold him?" Drake asked him, understanding the situation.

That took Zack off guard as he looked at him uncertainly.

"You're the father?"

"What? No man. I do love Raymond like a son, but I'm not his father. We'll talk about this later. Do you want to hold him? And let's go outside, it's getting crowded here." He smiled simply and held the baby closer to Zack who didn't react immediately.

Holding him felt so weird and it was a unique moment for Zack, tears dropped softly on his cheeks as he was controlling himself to not start sobbing. Drake stayed silent and started walking out, directing Zack who was just holding Valencia's kid so awkwardly, feeling his heart getting smashed, replaying in his mind all what his sister told him once, feeling the baby holding into him closer.

Now she's going to be behind bars, mad at him, alone and cold, for something she didn't do.

Once they were out, Zack gave Drake the baby back and started crying, falling on his knees.

"I screwed up. I failed to protect my baby sister, and now she has to suffer even more. I was never there for her, and when I tried I only made things worse."