25

"We've gained access that Noah has been in town for a while." Peter said to me and Neal. I looked around Peter's office again before facing Peter. "Scarlet, I want you and Jones to do a stake out tonight, Noah will be at a restaurant tonight with Britney. I want to see if you can find anything."

I nodded obediently while Peter turned to Neal. "Me and you will do some research tonight about Noah and his family." I looked at Neal to see he had a slight frown on his face. "If that's okay with you Neal?" Peter said, making Neal shake his head and a smile replace his frown.

"Of course it's fine." Neal said, and stood up causing me to follow him.

"Right, it's lunch now but after that you two get to work." Peter said in a mock stern voice making me smile and Neal laugh.

"Yes captain." Neal said saluting him and then leaving Peter's room leaving the door open for me. "You coming?" Neal said in a tone that made me frown, I quickly followed turning to Peter to say goodbye which he just nodded at.

"Why are you being so rude?" I asked when Neal had shut the door behind me and we were walking to get my handbag in my office. It was our new daily ritual, we would always get lunch together to see what we had gathered on the case and these just have some general conversation.

"I'm not being rude." Neal retaliated childishly, not looking at me as I walked into my office and grabbed my bag locking the door behind me.

The walk downstairs was in silence and the air was tense. Why was he being so difficult? what was wrong with him? was he moody at me?

What if he didn't like last night? Sure, we shared the bed but now we always shared the bed. I didn't mind it because I loved someone to keep a hold of while I slept but what if it meant nothing to him. What if I meant nothing to him...

"Oh hey Scarlet." Jones' voice said bringing me out of my daydream when we reached the lifts. "Hi caffrey." I looked up to see Neal give Jones a nod and a mumble before facing the lift once again.

what was wrong with him?

"Are you two off to lunch?" Jones asked politely and I nodded.

"Yeah we-"

"Yes we're going to lunch like we do every day." Neal stated bluntly, i looked at Clinton and saw that even he was confused about Neal's attitude.

"Right, would you mind if i joined you?" he asked as the lifts dinged open and Neal walked in. Ignoring the both of us.

"Sure, come on." i said walking inside the lift and Jones following.

"Sure, come on." I heard Neal imitate me in a mumble beside me, I frowned and turned towards him. We would have to talk about what was wrong tonight when i get back from my stake out with Jones.

And he better have a good reason why he was being an ass.

***

"I'll have the tomato pasta and salad please." I said politely to the waiter, and he quickly left. Neal and Caffrey had already taken their orders and were now sipping their drinks.

On the way to the restaurant neither of them had spoken a word to each other, what was wrong? Was it something to do with me?

"So..." i said trying to think of a conversation to break the ice. Anything would be better than this new formed silence. "My first stake out." I said turning to Jones as he smiled at me.

"Yeah, well I doubt it's your first-"

"But it's my first here, in the US I mean." I said cutting off Jones as I rambled on. But instead he just smiled, I glanced over to Caffrey to see he had taken out his phone and was typing away. Quite angrily i might add.