26

"What's the matter?" Jones asked as we sat in the car, true to his word he had ordered takeaway and this time it was Indian. After the fight with Neal I had cleaned myself up but I was still distant.

I couldn't stop thinking about him, and flashbacks of his hurt face almost haunted me. The way his eyes filled up with tears broke my heart. I had hurt him, truly hurt him and I had no idea why.

"Nothing it's just-"

"Neal?" Jones asked and I turned my head to see Clinton looking at me in a knowing way. "He was really upset after you had that talk with him." He continued, it hurt me to think of Neal upset because of me. "He wouldn't tell me what happened, but he was off for the rest of the day even with Peter."

"I didn't mean for it to happen." I said looking down at my fingers and picking at my nails.

"Why don't you tell me what happened from the beginning?" Jones said and I looked at the restaurant we were sat outside and meant to be watching. "They'll be a while." He said as if he knew my thoughts.

"Well, I guess it started when I started to move in with him. It was a couple of weeks into moving in and we had kissed, and ever since then I can't get him out of my mind." I started looking at Clinton as he nodded. "We continued to 'hook up'" I said using my fingers as quote marks as I spoke. "But I always wanted more, I don't know why. I had told him about my life in England and I had opened up to him about missing my family. But he never seemed to open up to me-"

"No-one knows Caffrey's past." Jones said interrupting me. "No-one knows what he's been through and I doubt if Peter even knows." He said opening his water bottle and placing it to his lips.

God knows what could've happened to Caffrey when he was a boy. God knows what memories I could've resurfaced.

"But then today, he told me he was falling for me." I said and as soon as the words left my mouth Jones erupted into a coughing fit. Taking the water away from his mouth and turning to me.

"He what?!" Jones almost shouted. Placing the lid back on his water bottle making sure not to spill it.

"He told me he was-"

"I know what you said I just can't believe it..." Jones said letting out a small breath. Then turning to me. "Wait so why was he so upset when he left?"

"I didn't think it was true and he asked me why I don't trust him and then it all blurted out."  I whimpered not even denying my tears as they fell and I brought my hand to wipe them away. "I said I couldn't trust him because he was a con man. But he's so much more than that, he's kind, passionate, caring-"

My mind racing back to when he was talking to my family and how he had charmed himself into our little gang. I always knew there was something special about Caffrey, ever since I had met him and it had grew stronger every day. I love him, in a way I can't explain. He drives me mad, he makes me crazy and most of the time I either want to punch him or kiss him. But I love him, and I've turned him away.

"You're in love with him aren't you?" Jones asked, I moved my head to see Jones and I lightly smiled.

"Of course I am." I confirmed, looking over to see Jones smile brightly. The kind of smile that was genuine and sincere.

"Good, because I've got an idea for you." Jones said, and the rest of the 'stake out' we spent talking and planning about how to make it up to Caffrey.

***

I looked at the clock at Caffrey's apartment. 10pm it read. The stake out with Jones didn't last long after our heart to heart and nothing suspicious happened at the restaurant which I was glad for. I didn't want to miss anything on account of me.