35

Lily

I watched Neal's heavy breathing, his body was connected to all sorts of tubes. His body moving up and down was my only faith. It had been two days after the shooting happened, the doctors had said that Keller had shot Caffrey in the stomach that the shot was deliberately meant to harm not kill. If Keller really hated Neal why would he just injure him? Something told me that it wasn't the last we saw of Keller and it scared me more than anything. Nothing scared me more than seeing Neal lying on the floor with a pool of blood around him, but he looked so beautiful. He always looked beautiful, even now in hospital. Beautiful.

"Morning." Peter's familiar voice said as he opened the door and sat down next to me holding two Starbucks cups of coffee. "How's he holding up?" He asked me, handing me my latte. I smiled at Peter and blew on the hot coffee before answering.

"He's okay, the doctors said that it's normal for him to be sleeping this long. He's lost a lot of blood." I said comfortingly, but I was unsure on who I was trying to convince. I sipped on my coffee before putting it down on the brown coffee table beside me, the table already had flowers and gifts for him when he woke up, but I reached for Neal's hand once again; his red flannel overlapping his hand as it was too big for me. I couldn't take off his flannel, it was near impossible. It was impossible to leave his side.

"He'll be just fine Lily." Peter said in comforting way.

"I know, I know." I repeated, feeling myself yawn.

"I know that look, and that worry. Don't worry about him, he's going to be okay. Why don't you go back to your apartment and get some sleep?" He suggested, immediately I shook my head. I couldn't leave his side, he left me and look what happened now. He was in hospital. It was weird for me to care so much about one person. We never really made our 'relationship' official but it was the most real thing that I have ever had. We both love each other and that's what matters.

"I- I just can't." I stuttered, holding onto Neal's hand tighter if possible as Peter just nodded in response. I knew that he knew what I was going through, he'd do the same if it was Elizabeth. "He told me, before the ambulance came.. that he wasn't seeing anyone else."

"He'd be stupid if he did." Peter replied bluntly, "to be honest I think he said that just to protect you, we all knew that him and Keller had history. I think he wanted to take care of him by himself without you being hurt." Peter said, and I felt a smile growing on my face. I'm glad that it all worked out. I hated feeling second best, like I was too deep into this, that I was drowning. In him.

"Am I really that obvious?"

"Neal!" I shrieked excitedly. Watching as his blue eyes fluttered open and adjusted to the harsh hospital lighting. "Are you okay?" I asked, standing up and placing a kiss on his forehead and cheek.

"I am now." He said smiling at me and Peter. His blue eyes seemed even brighter if possible, but the rest of his body was hurt badly. Neal's hand escaped mine as he tried to push himself up on the bed but he instinctively winced at the pain.

"Don't try and move." Peter commanded, pushing him back down lightly. "Just rest, we've been worried about you." He admitted. Signalling over to the coffee table that was filled with gift upon gift.

"Guess I'm pretty popular then." Neal smirked at me and I rolled my eyes, he still managed to be arrogant even when he was in hospital. All he needed was his hat and that was Neal Caffrey back to normal. That was what I got him for a gift, a new hat. Me and June had picked one out especially and I couldn't wait for him to try it on. I'd never forget how I felt that first day I saw him, i fell in love at once although I'd never admit it.