Chapter 15 - Roxy

"Roxy," Garrett spoke.

"Huh?" I turned to look at him.

"Can I copy your notes?"

I handed him my journal.

We were just finishing up our assignment and killing time. A few students were actually finished with their work, including me.

I offered to let Garrett copy my work but he refused. He always did. I didn't blame him though. He understood the material better than me. He only wanted to copy my notes. Never my work. He actually enjoyed doing the work. He said it helped him understand the material. He only copied my notes because he never paid attention when the teacher gave lectures. And the notes were part of our grade.

While Garrett was the funniest in our group, he was also the smartest, even though he sometimes said certain things that would make you think he was a few short of some light bulbs. I know it didn't really seem like it but he was the smartest out of the group. He aced all of his classes, and he could do math at the top of his head. His GPA, last time I checked, was 4.35. The extra AP classes he had done boosted his GPA. He wanted to be an Architect and had applied to major Ivy League schools and a few universities here and there.

Whenever I needed any tutoring in any class, Garrett was the one I went to. I was actually jealous of him sometimes. He rarely studied. You could catch him playing video games but never studying. But hey, as long as he helped me with the difficult lessons, I couldn't complain.

"So what did you do yesterday?"

"Ryan and I went to the grocery store to buy groceries."

"Buy me anything?" I joked.

"Actually..." He reached into his backpack and took out a foil wrapped package then proceeded to hand it to me.

"What's this?"

"They're cookies. Honestly, some of the best I've had. Finn introduced me to them so you've probably already tried them."

I nodded, placing them on my desk.

"And we also finished that amazing chocolate cake you made me."

I smiled.

"Any chance you could make me another?" He smiled, eyes pleading.

I shook my head. "Sorry, Garrett. You already know I only make them for birthdays. They wouldn't be as special if I made them for you everyday."

"Yes, they would."

"Alright. You won't have to wait until the next one."

His eyes immediately lit up.

"You'll just have to wait until graduation."

"Roxy."

"Alright then, wait until the next birthday."

"Graduation it is."

I chuckled, and he went back to copying down the notes.

"So what did you do yesterday?"

"Finn and I went to get some ice cream."

He nodded.

"Did your parents come home?"

He shook his head. "Nope. They just put money on my card."

"Garrett..."

"Roxy, it's fine."

"But Garrett—"

"Roxy."

I nodded, keeping quiet, knowing he wanted to let it go.

When the bell rang, Garrett handed me back my journal, and we headed outside, walking down the hall.