Chapter 39 - Roxy

I picked up my suitcase and tried lifting it up to put it in the bed of Ryan's truck. I always carried extra sets of clothes, just in case, so my suitcase was heavier than it should've been. Garrett noticed me struggle, so he helped me put the suitcase up in the bed of the truck.

We walked back inside the cabin. The guys and I had already cleaned up inside. We threw away our trash, cleaned the grill, wiped down counters and swept the kitchen. We made sure to leave the cabin in the same condition as when we arrived, if not better.

We packed up Ryan's truck with all of our belongings and then hit the road. He drove for about an hour.

"Pass me the chips," Garrett said.

Carter passed the bag back to him. He had been sitting in the front, eating some of them.

Garrett started munching on the chips. "These chips don't suffice! I need food. I am a real man. I need protein!"

We had decided to skip breakfast this morning and eat later, so Garrett was getting a bit antsy.

"Garrett, you're yelling into my ear." I nudged him. He was sitting on my right.

"I need food, woman!" He turned to me.

"Garrett, shut up!" Carter called from the front.

"Give me food or give me death!" He turned his attention back to Carter.

"Take death then!" Carter replied.

I laughed, leaning over to Garrett and tapping his arm to hopefully calm him down.

"Garrett, relax," Ryan said, before he took an exit off the freeway.

He drove for a few minutes, before pulling into the parking lot of an In-N-Out restaurant. We all got down from the car and walked inside the restaurant.

"Who's turn is it to order?" Finn asked.

"Ryan's," I replied.

We all took out our money and handed it to him. The rest of us walked over to the back and sat in an empty booth. We had to get an extra chair to put it at the edge of the table. I sat on the outer seat, beside Garrett. Finn and Carter sat opposite of us.

"Here is the change." Ryan set it down on the table. He had the cups in his hands. "Drinks?"

"Pink lemonade," Finn and Carter said.

"Coke for me, please," Garrett replied.

I usually got a vanilla milkshake, so I didn't need to tell him. I got up to help Ryan. We walked over to the soda machines and started filling the drinks. I carried Finn and Carter's drinks, while Ryan carried his and Garrett's drinks. We placed the drinks down on the table. I sat down beside Garrett, and Ryan sat down on the extra chair to my left.

"How much longer before we're home?" I asked Ryan, turning to look at him.

He was fumbling with the receipt, before he turned to look at me, dark-blue ocean eyes meeting mine. "Maybe forty minutes."

I nodded my head, before slowly breaking my gaze. His eyes always took my breath away when they were that shade. They changed slightly sometimes, and it never seized to amaze me. A few times they were this dark blue color, like now, other times they were that classic blue-eyed color that we see more often, and sometimes, on more rare occasions, they were the lightest shade of blue I had ever seen on him. That pale blue wasn't as common on him though. I had only seen it a handful of times.

When they called our orders, I got up with Ryan. He and I walked over to the counter and picked up our food.

We each carried two trays back to the table. I sat down in my seat after setting down the trays.