Chapter 28 - Ryan

"Are we doing anything after school?" I asked before taking a bite of my pizza.

"What should we do?" Finn turned to us.

"Let's go to the park after school," Carter said.

"Why?" I heard Garrett.

"Breathe in some fresh air. Besides the rain already stopped and the weather is nice."

"Yeah. We can play basketball."

"Yeah, I agree with Ryan. Let's play some basketball," Carter said.

"I'm down. Rox, Garrett?"

"I'll go."

Garrett sighed. "Fine. I'll go, too."

####

"But, mom, I had a date," he spoke into the phone. "If Saturday isn't the actual funeral and it's something else why can't—" he rolled his eyes and nodded. "But, mom, she's not just some girl." He continued to nod. "Alright, fine." He hung up the phone and walked towards me. "Man..."

"What?" I asked.

"I can't go on the date with Roxy."

I raised my eyebrows, before speaking, "Dude, if Garrett finds out, he'll—"

"What?" Garrett walked over to us where we stood in front of the school under a tree.

"I can't go on the date with Roxy."

"Carter, I swear if—"

"No. One of my great aunts passed away and her wake is on Saturday. My mom is making me go. I told her I had a date, and I asked her why I had to go if I didn't even know her."

"What'd she say?" I asked.

"Well when I told her in person earlier, she smacked me upside the head."

I stifled a laugh.

"But I was just on the phone trying to convince her again. She won't budge. Can one of you take her on the date?" His eyes switched back and forth between the two of us. "I already bought the movie tickets. After the movie I was going to take her to Moe's. I even called Moe's and asked them to reserve a table for two just in case they were busy."

"Moe's?" Garrett asked.

"Yeah. Roxy doesn't care about fancy places. Besides, she loves pizza. More than you." He pointed at Garrett.

"You planned all of that?" Garrett asked.

"Of course. It's Roxy. I wasn't going to half-ass it. She deserves a good date. So?"

Garrett turned to look at me and then switched his gaze over to Carter.

"I'll take my Roxanne on a date."

"Great. I'll transfer you the movie tickets later."

Garrett nodded.

We all walked over to the parking lot where we waited for Roxy and Finn to show up. Roxy had been getting some extra credit work from one of her teachers. When they showed up in the parking lot, we all waved goodbye and got into our cars. I made my way home.

When I got home, it was empty. My mom had texted me letting me know she was out with one of her friends. I went up to my room and grabbed a smaller duffel bag. I put in a few hand towels, extra pair of clothes, and the basketball I had. I quickly changed into a black pair of basketball shorts and a navy athletic shirt. I changed my shoes into my workout shoes. I grabbed everything I needed and walked out of my house.

I had picked up Carter since his house was on the way to the park. We sat down at the closest picnic table to the courts, set our stuff down, and waited for the rest to show up.