Chapter 3

Venus

I took a deep breath trying not to make direct eye contact with anyone as I sat peacefully in my seat. Lance was still deep into his desk drawings but I could feel his eyes glancing at me every few minutes. It was almost like he was checking up on me making sure I was doing ok. It felt nice to known that maybe I have at least one person looking out for me. My eyes began to pace the room again before it locked with a girl with beautiful long auburn hair she definitely seems to  notice because she gave a small kind smile. I was caught off guard at the kind gesture  "That wasn't awkward at all" I laughed at myself as I returned my eyes to the window leading to the autumn view.

I watched as the leaves fell to the ground, as the wind ripped them in all directions. I pondered about more about Churchhill , everyone seemed so together but there was just something about this place that felt like a sense of home, a feeling I rarely or maybe never got to experience.

"Hello, how is everyone?" My thoughts were interrupted, causing me to snap my head back to the front of the class where a youngish tall bald man with a huge bookbag came in.

I knew this stranger had to be our teacher once he put his big bag onto the desk.
"So guess what?" He started crossing his arms facing towards the class. I rolled my eyes, "This is going to be a long hour" I thought to myself. He went on talking about his family and something about getting a new cat. I could probably write a book about him by how detailed he was with every word.

I went back to starring at the big maple tree outside the clear window, his private life meant nothing to me as I glued my eyes on the falling leaves once again. Each leaf fell dramatically while it swishes in the rough wind. I thought about how in the city we never had big maple trees or kind people. Never once out of all of the places I have moved I've never been able to stop just for a second and notice the fall colored leaves or the rough wind that was taking them away.

"Venus Cadwell?" I ripped my head to the front as the chatty man suddenly was looking around for a face; my face, to fit the name.

I slowly raised my hand. "Here," I quietly stuttered.

I could feel the warmth of all the eyes, but only one really burned into me. The girl with the auburn hair. Something about her was so different, most of the girls rolled their eyes at me, but she didn't. She just simply smiled, leading me to believe that her kindness was genuine and not the like other snobby girls in the class. I wondered who she was, who she really was. Was she genuinely happy with her life or was there something more behind those bright hazel eyes?

The bell startled me out of my thoughts. I quickly shoved all my books in my bag not caring about the unorganized paper that might be getting crushed at the bottom. I just wanted to get away from all the people. I quickly threw my backpack over my shoulder and started making my way to the door, but something blocked my way. Lance, of course, stood at the door way and I wasn't the only one stuck in Lances trap.

The mysterious girl was also standing next to me, rolling her eyes at Lance as he just smiled in a mischievous way "Meet the new girl," Lance chuckled.

She looked at me, but before she could talk my mouth took over. "Hey, I'm Venus." I blurted out

She smirked, "Fawn Hunter." my brain naturally connected the name to her face "Nice to meet you Venus! " She yelled as she pushed past Lance.

"You too," I yelled back but she had already ran off. She seemed nice enough but I could tell that her brain was preoccupied with other thoughts.

I slightly nudged Lance as I passed by in him in the door way. "Thanks for putting me on the spot" I laughed making my way to my new found locker.

Lance followed close beside me. "Hey, just doing my new friend a favor," he smiled down at me.

I open my locker starting to cram my textbooks into it. "So who's your new buddy here, Lance?" I heard a deep voice making uncomfortable shivers go up my body. I turned around to see a group of  bigger guys gathering around us as one of them was smirking in a dark disgusting way as his eyes scanner over me making my skin crawl. The group of guys had to be jocks , they were all covered in football jerseys and undesired cockiness.

"Um. . .She i-is-" Lance was tripping over his words. I could tell this guy clearly making Lance uncomfortable as he kinda shuffled is feet in place.

The jock cut him off finishing Lances sentence , "-Pretty hot." I could feel his eyes trying to take my clothes off, which sent a sting to the pit of my stomach.

I glared at him as anger rose to my cheeks turning them red hot. I wanted to lash out , take all my anger and hurt out on this stupid guy. The guy obviously saw the affect that he was causing us in that brief moment which only made his smirk even more wide. He was feeding off of this moment like it was a little childish game to him and he knew that he was winning.

I could feel myself over boiling with rage, my nails dug into my palm letting the pain and anger envelop me. I felt my feet starting to move toward this guy, I wanted to make him feel the disgust and furious that I had felt my whole life. I didn't know if I was seeing him anymore or all the men that haunted my life.
Before I could act I felt a cold hand grip my arm slightly pulling me back. " He's not worth it ,Venus "  Lance whispered under his breath as his eye pleaded for me to walk away but I didn't want to. I wanted to let it all out, for once in my life I wanted to fight but I felt my body get more calm and relaxed back slightly. It was enough for Lance to pull me away leading me down the hallway.
I looked back just for a second to see the guys all hysterical laughing expect for one. I didn't caught his face but I caught just enough to make my breath catch in my throat. His shorter chestnut hair flowed in a perfect mess, you could tell he had ran his fingers through it little to many times. Large muscles crawled up his arms up to his wide shoulders molding his football jersey to his tan skin. He stood to the side trying to keep his distance from his jockey friends and the situation that unfolded. Before I could catch a better look he disappeared into the crowds of people.

We came to a halted stop , trying to both caught are breath"Venus, that was. . . crazy. Amazing but crazy,  you were gonna going to go toe to toe with that guy" Lance said in a breathless laugh

I blushed slightly at his word "I just can't stand people like him," I groaned out still trying to comprehend what I was about to get myself into.

Lance playfully smirked at me as his gaze lasted little bit longer on my face
"What?" I laughed brushing off his stare walking into my next classroom.

"Venus Cadwell, you're meant to be here." Lance mumbled under his breath as we took our seats. I pretended not to hear him as I just stared down at my deck, but on the inside my thoughts were running wild with his words.

Me? Meant to be here? I never envisioned my life in a small town like Churchhill , I never imagined a future for myself. Surrounded around people that love me and care for me, people I could share my life with. Maybe just maybe a slight flicker of hope and want for that future started making a way into my heart.