11

Coach returned the morning workouts. He wants us to be prepared for other schools. It was frustrating because it was early and I see him for most of my morning already. Also after school for two more hours.

"Hustle, ladies." Coach Styles demands as we joust with a partner.

My arms were getting tired from keeping the ball up and over the net. I was partnered with a JV player and she kept dropping the ball so we had to start over with the count. I try teaching her my technique, but she couldn't get it.

"Coach," I whine. "Can we just move on?"

"No, you have to finish your count like the rest."

"But if you add up how many times we did it then we did way more than the others." I argue, but he shakes his head. I look at coach Payne for help. "Coach Payne, do you think this is fair?"

"They have been working on the joust for a while." Coach Payne defends. "We don't want their arms to fall off."

Coach Styles sighs. "Fine Eversteen, move on to practicing your serves."

I do as told and the other girl waits for Coach Payne to tell her what to do. I bounce the ball against the floor then toss the ball up. I use all my strength and hit it, but it doesn't make it over the net. My arms are tired out from the joust we just did.

"Coach, can we just face it? I'm not good at serving." I complain. "That's why we have Monique." I say, pointing at the dancing girl across the court. "I can't serve."

"Yes you can," he rolls his eyes, walking towards me. "Just fix your posture and hit right here." he instructs, repositioning my stance. He puts the ball in my hand and stands behind me. His hands slide down my arms and he gently grips my wrists. "Move your feet a bit out– keep straight though." he quickly directs, kicking my feet to spread apart more. Then he lets go of me, demonstrating himself by slightly bending his knees and pretending he was serving the ball. "Got it?"

Of course I was blushing and burning red from his touch, so I avoid eye contact with him. I just nod, licking my bottom lip then focus on the ball. I do everything he just told me and hit the ball. It didn't make it far, but it got over the net.

"I did it," I say to myself.

"I knew you could." Coach nods with a wide smile. "I guess we should do more arm workouts." he says, squeezing my biceps.

I pull away rubbing my arm because I was very insecure about them. I hate my arms that's why I always try to hide them.

"Should I practice more?"

"Go ahead,"

-

Practice had just ended and I was on my way to the locker room. I was completely drained from the mornings workout, school, then practice. Plus I have work some days after practice. It's a lot to put on a teenaged girl.

"Hey Rylee," someone calls after me.

I turn to see Brennen pacing his way to me. I assume his practice had just let out as well since he was on his way to the boys locker room with his other teammates.

"What do you want now?" I sigh, continuing my path to the locker room.

He just chuckles, staying by my side. "I was just wondering if you'd like to go out with me."

"What?" I scoff, laughing it off and crossing my arms. I stop to look at the tall brunette boy. "Are you really asking me out or are you just trying to mess with me because we only just met a couple weeks ago. Why would you want to go out with me? I'm not the type of girl you'd want to go out with."

"Wow, you're really hard on yourself."

"It's just that, no one has asked me out in a while. When they do, it's just in a friendly joking matter." I defend myself. "I put walls up to guard myself and I need to know and trust that person first."

"Such high standards." he gasps then laughs. "I promise that this date will just be us two getting to know one each other and having a bit of fun. I would love to gain your trust."

"Eversteen, hit the showers or get ready to leave." Coach walks up from behind me. "You know I can't leave until the last one of you is gone." he says, keeping his eyes a stack of papers he had been grading throughout practice.

"Sorry coach," I apologize, walking away.

"Hey, what about that date?" Brennen asks, letting it echo through the hall.

I breathe out, seeing his begging look on his face. "I'll think about."

"Just so you know, I won't stop trying." he winks.

I playfully roll my eyes, disappearing into the locker room.

Yeah, I'm posting a lot for this book tonight;)