39

"I'm going to the store." my dad informs me. "Want to come with?"

I shake my head, staring blankly at the wall. I've been sitting in the dining room since he came and picked me up. I didn't speak a word to him even if he asked questions. I figured he wouldn't ask as much if I stayed silent. His fingers brush my hair and he sighs. He leaves without another word.

Only about ten minutes pass when I hear the door open again. The time seemed forever because I was staring at the clock, but it was too soon for my dad to be home already. I hear the crinkling of a bag until something falls in front of me. I move my eyes up the figure to see my brother gazing down at me.

"What's up, little one?" he says, patting my shoulder.

"What's up?" I say, annoyed by his presence. "Alec, where the fuck have you been?" I snap. "Mom left and you didn't come by once to check on us. Also, I don't know if you heard, but I could be dead right now."

He sighs, sitting in front of me. "I wanted to come, I really did, but coming home and knowing mom's gone was too much."

"Oh, it was too much?" I force out a fake laugh. "How do you think I feel?"

"I know, Rylee." he reaches to hold my hands. "I'm sorry I didn't come sooner. I'm here now and I'll start being here for you."

A tear escapes and I start crying. "Alec, mom is gone."

Alec stands up and comes to my side. He pulls me into a hug and shushes me softly.

"I know, but at least you're okay." he whispers. "You're okay." he comforts me.

After a while of talking to him, our dad arrives home. Alec had fed me the food he brought, so I went straight to my room. I was replying to many texts from Monique. Then I was soon called back down by my dad. Alec was seated in the same place and I sit next to him.

"So since I have both of you here with me tonight," our dad starts, sitting in front of us. "I have something to tell you and I hope you'll be as excited as I am."

"Don't tell me you've already met someone." Alec jokes and I nudge him, putting my attention back on our dad who looked nervous. "Go on then."

"Well, the office found out about your mother, of course." he sighs out. "My boss felt the need to give me a promotion." he says with his eyes lighting up.

"Wow, that's great dad!" I say excitingly. I get up to hug him and he pats my arm.

"This means, I'll be able to work less, but we'll get the money we need. I'll be home more often for you Rylee." he tells me. "But-"

"I knew there was a but." Alec interrupts.

He inhales heavily, looking up at me when I pull away. "The job is on the west coast, California."

I gasp stepping back. "What? No." I frown. "We can't leave now, dad. It's my last year and-"

"We won't be leaving right away, but after this first semester."

"That's even worse." I shriek. "I'll be graduating with total strangers, what about prom and all the other school events? Dad, I can't move,"

"Sweetheart, I need this promotion. I can't pay all the bills alone."

"You're not paying alone."

"Rylee, your checks pay a couple bills out of the many we have."

"I'll work more an-"

"No Rylee," he snaps. "I want you to focus on your school work and not worry about paying bills."

"But dad," I cry out softly.