26

The next morning my eyes were red, but not too red. I covered my dark circles with concealer then waited for a ride from Brennen. He offered to take me to workouts this morning and of course I took it. Last night was very long and I tried getting my mind off everything.

I actually walked to Monique's house and she snuck me up to her room. I didn't really tell her what happened because it would've just came out as gibberish. Her parents eventually found out I was there and took me home with no questions asked. Then I decided to respond to the texts Brennen sent. He helped me forget the situation I was going through. He was actually being a nice friend when I told him about the "other guy".

"Good morning," Brennen greets me.

I force a smile, getting into his car. "Morning."

"I got you some orange juice and a breakfast burrito." he says, handing me a bag and gesturing the cup in the holder. "I thought you could use it."

"Thanks." I simply say, taking the food and eating it.

The car was silent as I always make it. Brennen was a caring, good looking, charismatic guy. He also wasn't married or my teacher. Things could've worked out between us if nothing happened with Harry. Thinking about how I messed things up were about to make me cry. We were walking toward the gym and I just stop in my tracks, trying to hold back my tears.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Brennen says, noticing I had stopped walking next to him.

"Brennen, I'm sorry for treating you badly." I apologize, looking up at him with teary eyes. "I like you, I just really don't want a relationship right now. I thought I did which is why I went out with you, but it's just too much for-"

"I'm cool with having a friendship." he reassures me. "You don't have to apologize or explain anything. Let's just head inside for practice before you get in trouble by coach Styles again."

I nod, wiping the fallen tears. We enter the gym and make our way to the locker rooms. Brennen gives me a hug before leaving to the boys locker room. Harry passes by and gives me a small glance then heads for the gym.

Monique insisted I skip the workouts while I was getting ready. I kept declining and made my way to the gym before we were late.

"You don't have to deal with him today." she says then stops me. "Rylee, Rylee he hurt you. You came to my house crying because of him. I don't want you-"

"Monique!" I snap then lowered my voice. "I broke it off with him because he wanted something more while I didn't. He's divorcing his wife and I just couldn't be the one to home wreck a relationship he had for years. Not after I went through the same thing."

"Wait what?"

"Yeah, so lay off coach, okay." I sigh, continuing my path to the gym. "I'm probably the one who hurt him."

Monique and I were the first ones out. I walk toward Harry who was doing his usual thing of frowning down at his clipboard. I breathe in deeply before speaking.

"Hello coach Styles," I smile, holding out my hand. "I'm Rylee Eversteen, your varsity captain."

Harry takes a double glance at me then looks at Monique. He frowns, but takes my hand to shake it. I quickly pull away after two shakes and slightly back away.