49

All the varsity players gathered up in the gym

All the varsity players gathered up in the gym. All except one. I hadn't seen Monique the rest of the day. We usually try our best to meet in the halls during passing periods, but she was nowhere to be found.

I sat on the bleachers next to coach Payne. He was on his phone the entire time. Also, jumping in when the girls kept asking questions. Quite personal questions, I might add. I learned more about him in this one day than the whole season.

"What is taking coach so long with her?" Brit groans. "They've been in there for a while."

"It's been less than ten minutes, calm down." Coach Payne chuckles. "Trust me and be patient because you'll want to here his announcement."

The girls question it while I look over to see if Monique was coming anytime soon. Right then, I see her exit the hall with Harry by her side. They were still talking as they came toward the group.

"Finally!" Brit says, plopping on the bleachers. "What's the great news?"

Harry chuckles, nudging Monique to be with the group. She spots me and immediately finds her way to me. I don't question her because I was curious to what the news was.

"Well, thanks to Rylee, your captain-" he starts. "I was able to look into the situation of how those ladies played so tough because I saw player 3's spike."

"I know!" Kourtney blurts out. "My arm is still sore from trying to keep it up."

"Yeah, but I checked in with the referees from that night who checked in with the officials and those girls got tested just this morning."

"Wait, they were on steroids?"

He nods with a smile. "A few girls came themselves and said they had been before we even got the results back." he tells us. "And guess what that means."

"We're going to playoffs!" Abby cheers.

"No." Harry laughs. "Maybe, we just have to play another rival team and win. It's one of the teams that lost to this team because they had started doing steroids then."

"Sounds fair." Monique speaks up. "When is the game?"

"It's next Saturday, so we have about two weeks to prepare for this, girls. Can we get through two weeks without complaining about workouts?"

The girls cheer and Harry dismisses us. Monique talks away as we made our way toward the exit until someone calls me. Both of us swirl around to spot Harry gesturing for me to come. Coach Payne stood by his side talking to Harry, but he kept eyes on me. I grip onto Monique's arm, pulling her with me.

"Wait, why?" Monique questions, getting out of my grip. "Coach," she coughs out when we get to him then she turns to coach Payne. "Coach."

"Monique, you're just the person!" Coach Payne says. "I was hoping you could do me a favor. It won't be until the summertime, but-" they fade away when coach leads her to a different area of the gym.

"So?" I suck in a breath, swaying back and forth on my feet.

"About tomorrow," he starts. "We can talk about whatever you want to talk about over dinner."

"O-oh yeah," I nod. "My dad usually works late on Tuesday's, so I can make it work. We can even have it at my place because my brother will be busy setting up his new apartment. At least that's what I overheard." I giggle out and Harry chuckles.

He shakes his head, blinking slowly. "I actually have a place in mind. You'll be very surprised, I hope."

"I will?"

"Yeah, I think you'll be very excited about it." he smiles. "Sorry, I'm probably saying too much. I want you to live the special moment."

I unnoticeably gulp and nod. My phone buzzes in my hand and a text pops up. "Well– well, I should get going. I'll see you tomorrow then."

I race out of the gym, not taking another look back. I spot my ride and quickly jump in before anyone saw me get in. They immediately start the car and we head to my destination.

"Are you okay?" they ask, reaching over to rest their hand on my knee.

I shift my leg to remove his hand and flash a smile at them. "I'm fine, Zayn."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." I simply say then I change the topic. "Thanks for doing this for me. Giving me rides."

"What are friends for?" he inhales, turning sharply. "But I still don't understand why your little fling can't take you."

"Zayn," I say softly, rolling my eyes. "Please don't start this again."

"I'm just saying." he shrugs. "Why are you keeping secrets from him? I wonder how he'll feel if he finds out you've been coming with me most days out of the week."

"Zayn, I asked you for this favor because I wanted someone who wouldn't ask so many questions." I snap. "This is just a personal thing that I need to do because it helps me, okay? That's all you need to know."

He stops the car and grabs me before I exited. "Peaches," he calls and I freeze. The story behind that nickname will always stay with me. "I'm sorry for being a belligerent twat." he apologizes then lets go. "Next time, there will be no questions asked."

I look at him over his shoulder. "There won't be a next time because I'm moving and I have to focus on that now. It's been stressing trying to schedule the movers and cleaning the house for the next tenants."

Before he said anything else, I got out of his car and made my way up to the house. The dull door of the old house swings open to reveal a smiling lady. She opens her arms and pulls me into a warm hug.

"Nice to see you again, sweetie."

"Nice to see you too, Ms. Evans." I smile at her, glancing over my shoulder to see Zayn's car still sitting there. "Shall we?" I ask to enter and she steps aside.

"Oh yes, I have some cookies you can help me bake." she says with excitement. "My Wilfred's favorite recipe."