Chapter 1

"We didn't think anything you had to say would change our minds."

"You needed a change of scenery."

"In the future you'll be thanking us for taking you somewhere new."

"It's only for a year until you start college."

So began the worst year of my life, my name is Eileen. I used to go by Lena back in San Diego but now...I have no one to call me that. My parents call me Eileen or Gerald or Allison sometimes, the names of their assistants. I can't remember the last time we were all in the same room together, we didn't even move here all together. I arrived a month earlier because they had too much business to wrap up. I didn't care much, after 17 years I knew by now there was no hope in my parents even growing a tiny interest in me. Mainly my mother, my dad would always find some way to spend time with me and for some reason I think my mom hated him for that,he actually made me feel wanted. My nanny told me once when I was born my mom didn't even know she was pregnant. All my baby pictures are by myself,never with them holding me even in our family portraits we hardly smile.

I thought I had one person to talk to about all this, one person to trust forever. But that's another story.

"I must say these winters in Canada start pretty early." My mom laughs into the phone as she sits across from me and drinks her coffee and takes a bite of her toast every now and then. I sit silently watching her as the cereal in front of me becomes soggy and untouched.

"Oh Gerald I know! The house is glorious so much room to be alone. I feel I'll never stop working!" My mom cackles and I see a bit of her toast fly from her mouth.

I hate this house. It's a glass house in the middle of nowhere with nothing but birch trees surrounding the entire area and the nearest neighbor is miles away. I've never felt more exposed and so secluded at the same time, my mom laughs again slapping her hand against the table and I roll my eyes. I'm pretty sure she's having an affair with her assistant.

"Mom you know the school you enrolled me in has been known to have a lot of school shootings. Gangs and all that." I lie and she continues listening to the conversation on her phone.

"I'm thinking of piercing my nipples mom." I say a little louder and again she laughs and sips on her coffee.

I pick up the spoon and stir the paste that is now my cereal and I sigh loudly.

"My mom I tried to kill myself two months ago." I stand up straight looking right at her and she smiles fondly placing her cup on her empty plate.

"Sweetheart get dressed I have to drop you off soon." She moves the phone away from her ear for a second and puts her dishes in the sink.

I blink away the tears forming in my eyes and dump out my cereal and run upstairs to get dressed. The high school I was going to was called Northwood and was a public high school that thankfully had no dress code. I get dressed in a dark purple cardigan and black shirt underneath and black jeans. The most "Don't notice me please" outfit I had. I figured college was my chance at happiness since I would be far away from my parents and that I shouldn't waste my time making friends here where I never wanted to be in the first place.

"Eileen let's go!" My mother yells and continues her phone conversation. I don't reply to her and go downstairs in silence while I put on my coat and grab my bag. We enter the car and she has surprisingly ended her phone call.

"Don't forget to go to the office first to get your schedule. I should have told you about orientation first but it slipped my mind. If you get lost just ask a senior or somebody." She says and I scoff.

"Mom I am a senior." I look over at her and see that she's texting and didn't hear a word I said as she pulls out of the driveway. I decide to remain silent for the rest of the ride. Until I have to yell out and warn my mom about a student crossing the street that she was about to hit.