Chapter 13

Eileen's POV

A knock at my door snaps me out of my dreamless sleep and I groan shutting my eyes feeling the worst head ache of my life.

"Eileen get up! You'll be late for school!" My mother's shrill voice yells and I groan and begin to stretch when a sharp pain in my hand makes me gasp.

"What the hell?" I say and look closely at my bruised knuckles. Did I punch a wall yesterday?

"Eileen!" My mother yells making me jump.

"Okay!" I reply and throw the sheets off my body and go to the bathroom to wash my body quickly and get dressed which isn't as easy since moving my fingers or hand hurt a lot. It didn't feel like anything was broken but how did I hurt it?

I check my phone just to check if Matthew might have responded to anything I've sent but of course he hasn't.

I rush downstairs to see my mother impatiently tapping her foot next to the door.

"Have you taken your medication?" She asks and I shake my head as I put on my shoes.

"Of course not." He walks back into the kitchen, her heels annoying clicking against the marble floor and not helping my headache at all.

"Here let's go." She hands me my pills along with a bottle of water and a banana.

"Come on I gotta see you take them. Dr. Bell called last night and was concerned you weren't taking them." She says and I swallow them immediately. I know I had an appointment with him the other night but for the life of me I can't remember what we talked about.

We get inside the car and she starts texting immediately although she's driving at the same time.

"God your father is infuriating." She mumbles and taps her fingers harder against her phone.

"He was supposed to get your birthday off next month but now some trip has come up that he can't miss." She says and rolls her eyes.

"I wasn't really up for celebrating this year anyways." I say and stare out the window watching the trees zip by.

"Don't say that. You're turning 18 that's a big milestone Eileen." She says.

"You're not going to be in town anyways. I don't want to make it into a problem for you. I'll just invite some friends over and I'll be happy I promise." I lie and her lips form a tight line on her face and she lets out a sigh. I can't tell if she feels bad but I was being honest when I said she won't be there, my mom never is usually with me in my birthday but she always makes up for it with gifts.

"Your friends...like Matthew?" She asks and my chest hurts just hearing his name.

"No. We're not together." I say and I feel her eyes on me but she doesn't say anything else for the rest of the car ride.

"Have a good day sweetheart." She says as I leave the car and I give her a small smile.

For some reason it felt weird walking up to school, as if I had been gone for awhile even though I remember coming yesterday. I head to my locker to put my things away and notice Adrian's younger brothers walking down the hall, I smile at them but they only look at me and keep walking. I wonder where Adrian is.

I head to class and sit in my usual seat and notice Ashley snap her head in my direction as she notices me, I decide to be a little friendly give her a small smile and she raises an eyebrow at me.

"Haven't seen you in a while. Do you know when Matthew's coming back?" She asks smacking her gum and I just shake my head.

"Ugh whatever." She says and turns away from me and goes back to talking with her friends. Class still hasn't begun yet and the room is still filled with chatter and laughter and everyone talking to somebody in front of them or behind them. I stare at the empty seat in front of me and stretch my fingers in and out focusing on the pain. I had no friends, no boyfriend which means it's going to be a pretty lonely birthday for me but I don't have to worry about that for a few weeks.

The teacher finally comes in and the class quiets down as he begins the lesson. I sigh and pull my sleeve over my fist and try my best to pay attention and ignore how lonely I feel.

The rest of the day goes by painfully slow but when the final bell rings I'm both relieved and a little sad since going home isn't better than being here. I pull the hood of my coat over my head and start untangling my head phones when a familiar voice calls out to my side.

"Hey beautiful." I turn around and my eyes widen as I see Adrian leaning against his car and not looking too good, he was slightly hunched over with beads of sweat forming on his forehead and I walk over to him fast which makes him smile wide.

"Could you be any more excited to see me?" He laughs but stops and groans closing his eyes in pain.

"Adrian...what happened? You look..terrible." I say and put my hands on his arms to help him sit up straighter.

"I'm fine. I just...I need to ask a big favor of you." He says and his joking face has now changed to completely serious.

"Anything...what's wrong?" I ask and he takes a shaky breath.

"I'm kind of....homeless right now. And I need a place to stay." He says and I look at him with disbelief.

"What about your brothers? What happened? Is it something with your parents?" I ask and he nods his head.

"I just can't go back..ever. I hate to do this to you but you're all I've got." He says and I nod understanding.

"I might have to hide you from my parents." I say and he smiles and stands a little straighter.

"They won't even know I'm there I promise." He says and I smile.

"Is that why you didn't come to school today?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"I'm not coming back. There's no point now." He says looking back at all the students walking out and I cross my arms and look at him.

"So you're just gonna sit around and do nothing then? What about your future?" I ask and he just smiles at me and shrugs.

"Just let me worry about that Okay? Come here." He says and rubs his thumb in between my eyebrows to ease my concerned face. He lowers his hand and drags his knuckles down my arm until he reaches my hand, I wince when he tries to entangle his fingers with mine and he looks at me confused.

"What happened?" He gently turns my hand over and rubs his thumb over my knuckles and I just shrug.

"Don't know, I just woke up this morning and it was there. I'm sure it'll go away soon." I say and he rubs my hand one more time before nodding his head.

"Come on let's go home then." He says and opens the door for me.

Once I'm inside there's an awkward silence between us and I notice him straining to lift his other arm.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I ask and he just forces a smile on his face and nods his head.

"Do you want to talk about what happened?" I say and his head snaps over to me.

"About what?" He raises his voice and I'm a little surprised at his tone.

"Why your parents kicked you out? What happened?" I ask and he clenches his jaw.

"I just fucked up okay? I fucked up real bad. Can we just leave it at that?" He says and I nod my head and the rest of the car ride is spent in silence.

Once we reach my house I see my mom's car isn't there just as I thought.

"Come on we can set your suitcase up in my room." I say and ignore that pained look in his face as he lifts it up and follows behind me.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you. I can't thank you enough for this." He says and I smile at him.

"Do you want me to park my car somewhere else? What if you parents come home and see it?" He asks and I shake my head.

"My dad's gone till next week and my mom will be home probably tomorrow afternoon." I say and unlock my front door.

I really hope letting him stay here won't be a bad idea.

Please comment what you think :)