Chapter 36

Eileen's POV

"It's cold." I shiver and watch smoke leave my mouth with every breath I take.

"You're in the middle of the largest pack of the country and all you can say is that it's cold!" Michael exclaims making me giggle and I just shrug.

We are currently in the middle of a field surrounded by at least a foot of snow as I sit on top of a bundle of logs slightly above the snow. I almost didn't want to come today, it's saturday, the day of Matthew's trial and Michael wanted me to spend the day with him. Days ago I would have said no but lately he's been sort of growing on me and I'm actually starting to like him.

"Saying it's a pack doesn't make it sound more glamorous." I laugh and he just sighs and shakes his head.

"This area will look better in a year or two." He says and extends his hand to help me down.

"What's happening in a year?" I ask and smile when he doesn't let go of my hand as we keep walking.

"My father is going to have more houses built out here, maybe another training area too just for younger wolves." He says looking around the large area of land with a proud look in his eyes.

"What else does your dad do?" I ask and notice a group of men look over at us as they walked away.

"A lot. He's in charge of the entire pack. He makes sure security is tight, that there isn't any conflicts among us, that there isn't any shortage in food or water. He assigns jobs, picks out teams-" I interrupt him.

"Acts as judge and juror." I say and regret it when Michael lets go of my hand and digs it into his coat pocket.

"Aren't you worried that you'll never see your brother again?" I ask and he shrugs.

"You're happy now aren't you? He knows what he did was wrong, he doesn't need to be punished!" I shout and Michael stops walking and glares at me.

"He would have taken you away forever. There's a lot more wrong that he did than just hiding you from me." He says and I just stare down at my feet not knowing what else to say.

"Michael!" I hear a little girl's voice call out and I look behind Michael and my eyes widen when I see the girl with dark brown hair riding on top of a wolf with patches of brown and red fur.

She looks at me and smiles but gets shy all of a sudden and looks at Michael who smiles at her and picks her up as the wolf carrying her pants and looks up at me.

"What are you doing out here huh? It's too cold for you." He teases and tickles her side making her giggle and I smile at the exchange.

"Jacob wanted to tell you something." She mumbles and they both stare at the wolf and so do I. Can they even talk when he's in his wolf form? Michael nods his head at him and places her down and looks at me with an upset expression.

"What is it?" I ask as he sighs.

"They're starting the trial now." He says and I feel my throat get dry all of sudden and my stomach starts feeling sick.

"Jacob, take Andrea home." He orders the wolf who lowers its head understanding but then Andrea pouts and stomps her boot into the snow.

"I want to see Matthew!" She whines but Michael doesn't listen and puts her on the back of the wolf.

"You won't get to see him for awhile Okay? Go!" He raises his voice and they run off immediately and he grabs my hand and we start walking in the other direction.

"Why is the trial starting early?" I ask trying to keep up with Michael who seems pretty mad.

"He surrendered himself to the pack rather than to be brought here. He wants it over with." He mumbles sounding pissed. Meanwhile I'm panicking inside just thinking about seeing him again, I wasn't exactly nice to him the last time we spoke but I don't forgive him yet either.