Chapter 23

"Honestly Eileen. What am I supposed to do with you?" My mother sighs driving us both home after having to meet with the principal to talk about my attendance. It's been four days since that night with Matthew and I've missed four days of school because of it and everyone is acting like it's the end of the world.

"Dr. Bell told me you were doing so much better. Is it because we're not home a lot?" She says referring to herself and my father who is supposed to be coming home tonight. I shrug as a response and she just sighs.

I miss Matthew terribly, I've dreamt about him every night and a part of me still thinks he'll climb into my window just to make me forget the whole stupid fight. I don't know why I listened to that woman, maybe she made me push him away. She certainly didn't keep her promise, I haven't felt better. I've been worse than ever before and now my grades are suffering because of it.

We pull up to the house but my mom keeps the door locked.

"Mom open the door please." I say while not looking at her but then I hear her sniffle and I look over at her surprised.

"I know...I'm not the world's best mother. But Eileen, you are the only good thing I've done with my life. I want the best for you. I know you're hurting, whether it's over some boy or because of your depression but I want you to fight. Because you shouldn't let anything hold you down. Do you understand Eileen?" She says her eyes watering the whole time and I slowly nod my head feeling incredibly guilty for making her cry.

"Your father will be home tonight. And we'll go out to eat like a family and celebrate your birthday a little early. I'll be there in the morning for it but I'll have to leave that night." She says and I smile at her.

"You changed your schedule for me?" I say sounding amazed and she laughs.

"Yes I did. Now get inside I've got to pick up your father at the airport and then we've got to pick something up." She says and unlocks the doors.

"I'll fix my grades and attendance mom. I promise." I say and she nods her head and I hop out of the car and head inside.

Once inside I unlock my phone and start calling Jennifer who has become a rather close friend if mine since that party.

"Sooo what was the verdict? Grounded for life??" Jenny answers the phone and I laugh, she was already well aware of my mom coming to talk about my academics.

"We're going out to eat tonight to celebrate my birthday." I say and smile at the sound of her gasping on the other end.

"Going out to eat??? That's obviously code for like...military school or something." She says and I laugh and take off my jacket and sit on the couch.

"It's a little too late for military school. I dont think they'll accept 18 year olds." I say but she doesn't give up on the possibility.

I talk to Jennifer for a couple hours, the whole time she's going on and on about throwing me a birthday party and while the thought of drinking again seems unpleasant. I would be somewhere safer where no jock would try to drug me.

"I gotta go my parents just pulled up." I say watching the headlights in the windows.

"Alright later!" She says and I hang up and stand up waiting for my parents to walk in but they don't. Out of curiousity I decide to walk outside anyways and see not only my mother's car but another behind it, a black kia soul with a giant red bow on it. A wide smile grows on my face and I look between both my parents in disbelief.

"Really?" I gasp and my dad nods his with a smug smile small on his face while my mother rolls her eyes at him with the same smile.

"I know you've been having a tough time but your birthday is still coming up." He says and extends his hand and jingles some keys. I look at my mom still not believing this is happening and she nods her head.

I practically scream with excitement as I take the keys from my dad and give him a hug once I let go I run over to my mother and do the same. We all get ready for dinner and I gladly drive us all to the restaurant my mother chose and we actually have a pretty amazing meal.

All thoughts about wolves and mates have vanished and I'm enjoying looking at my parent's get along. They're even joking around together, they never told me what they were like when they younger but apparently my mom was quite the party girl.

"And there was this girl sipping from two different cups dancing with the rest of her sorority sisters but her eyes landed right on me." My dad says fondly and my mother laughs.

"Only because you were the only one to wear a neon green polo, I was shocked." She says and my dad chokes on his drink as he laughs at the memory as well.

I smile some more and listen to them reminisce, I'm glad we did this. I've never seen them like this and it makes me feel all warm inside. Once dinner is over my parents are somewhat tipsy which made me driving us here a good idea after all.

I'm helping my mother into the car while my dad is practically falling asleep in the car.

"Eileen." I feel my smile dissappear as I recognize that voice, Alex. I shut the car door and turn around to look at him. He's still got a bruise under his eye from where Matthew punched him.

"I haven't seen you for awhile. You Good?" He says smiling wide, does he think I'm stupid?? I don't want anything to do with him.

"I'm great." I give him the cold shoulder and start walking to the driver's seat.

"Well whenever you're free maybe we could do something." He says and I roll my eyes and give him a dirty look.

"Maybe not." I get inside the car without another word and start the car.

"Look at my girl. Attracting all the pretty boys." My mom smiles and I just shake my head.

"Not him mom."I sigh and drive off.

Once we're home I help my parenrs get to bed and the moment they lie down they're completley knocked out and I smile looking between them and silently wish for more moments like this. I leave their room quietly and head over to my own room and unlock my phone which has one text message from Jennifer.

"Still up for tonight?" The text reads and I smile and reply back and shed the clothes I was wearing for better ones which was a dark red longsleeved v-neck shirt and black jeans. I tie my hair up in a messy bun and put on some mascara and lip gloss before putting on my heeled black boots.

I check on my parents one last time for running downstairs and towards my new car. Truth is there's another reason on why I haven't been going to school other than just a broken heart. As innocent as Jennifer appeared in school, her and her friends were regular drinkers and drug users and they had actually taken me under their wing. So every night for the past week I snuck out to her house where she'd sneak me into her basement as well as her other friends and we'd all let go, get lost and not feel anything. Which is what I desperately needed to forget the ache in my heart left by Matthew.

"My love!" Jen sighs as she sees me and wraps her arms around my neck, I could smell the pot smoke on her and I smile and hug her back anyways.

"We've been waiting." She grabs my hand and I take off my jacket and throw it on the nearest couch in the basement.

"Good to see you." Derek, Jennifer's boyfriend says and hands me the joint he was smoking and I take a long drag from it closing my eyes and letting the smoke fill me up before breathing it out through my nostrils.

"Is this all for tonight?" I say looking at the small joint thats already burning out and Jennifer giggles and shakes her head.

"Get ready girlie." She laughs and so do I bringing it to my lips once more not wanting to feel a thing.

Comment what you think :) also the gif included is what jenny looks like (brunette) and eileen(red head) although Eileen is blonde in this book it was the only gif i could find of them together :)