f o c u s

"You go with Isaac first, then we'll meet up at the woods, okay?" Scott says as I hop out of the motorcycle. He kisses my forehead and leaves. Allison, Isaac and I went inside the house. "Do you think you can hone in on Malia? If not, we're going to be in the woods for a long time." Allison asks Isaac.

"I've got a pretty good lock on her scent. It's actually kind of strong." Isaac replies. "What is it?" Allison asks. "Pee."

Allison stood there for a minute, looking of a distance. "Allison?" I called out. "Are you okay?" Isaac adds. But she seemed like she was in a trance. Allison picked up the gun and pointed right at me, a gun with the tranquilizer on it. "Allison." I called out again.

"Allison!" Isaac said it louder. Allison's trance was broken and she looked at her position and immediately dropped the gun. "Oh, my God! I'm so sorry. I'm I'm so sorry. I don't know what I was doing. I'm sorry." Allison apologizes. "Als, better than ring daggers, I guess." Isaac replies. "How am I supposed to help anyone if I'm like this? What am I supposed to do?" Allison worries. I neared her, "Allison. Let me help you. Show us what to do."

"Anyone else think we might be doing more harm than good?" Lydia asks as she stepped out of the vehicle. "We're trying to keep a father from killing his own daughter." Scott says. "A daughter he doesn't know is alive and is a werecoyote." I said. "Actually, we're trying to keep a guy from killing a coyote who is actually his daughter, who we don't know how to change from a coyote back to his daughter." Isaac adds.

"And again with the not helping, Colline, you should really stop falling in love with Isaac. You're getting his negativity." Stiles says. "I'm not-"

"We all know sis, we all know. Stop denying." Scott says, giving me a pat on the shoulder. "And we also know about the sex." Allison whispers. Obviously, Isaac heard that and just giggles. "Did you tell them?" I hit him in the hip. "Maybe." He smirks, and goes inside the preserved area. "Jerk." I murmured. "Heard that." He says. "You were meant to."

"Wait, wait. Wait! Wait! I want the woods cleared of hikers, joggers, anybody else who might be on those trails." Stiles says after entering the area. A cellphone rings, it was Stiles. I could hear the Sheriff's voice rushing about how took the doll again. "It took the doll again? What the hell is so important about this doll?" Stiles wonders. "I don't know, but listen to me. There are traps all over those woods. Near the trails. Probably near the car crash. And Tate is out there with a rifle. I want you to stay out of those woods. You got that? Stiles?"

"It's the doll." Stiles mumbles. "What's with the doll?" I asked. "Stiles?" The Sheriff calls out. "It's the doll?" Stiles repeats. He hangs up the phone. "All right, but why would it go all the way to the school and then all the way back to the house just for a doll? One that was in the car wreck in the first place. We didn't find it in the coyote den." Stiles asks. "Maybe it's important to her?"

"It likes the doll. Who cares?" Lydia squeaks. "It likes the doll a lot." Stiles says, still wondering. "What kind of doll is it?" Lydia asks. "I don't know. It's a doll, you know. It's got little arms, a big baby head and dead, soulless eyes. Actually, I took a pic." Stiles explains but pulls out his phone, showing a picture of a family with three girls. A mom, and two daughters. "Here." Stiles says. Lydia furrows her eyebrows. "That's Malia?" 

"Yeah, that's the jacket and the scarf we found in the den." Stiles says. "No wonder you and Scott smelled like coyote the other night." I said. "Stiles, she's not holding the doll. Stiles: That's Malia's younger sister. It's her doll." Lydia points. Which amazed Stiles. "I know what she's doing." Stiles says. "I know where she's going."

Somewhere, Scott had taken off. Hearing a gunshot, Isaac followed him. The traps are everywhere, Allison followed him too. "No! Allison wait!" I ran after them. I hear Isaac groan and scream. After catching up, Isaac's foot was in between the sharp teeth of the coyote trap. "Oh my God! Isaac!" I said. Spotting off a distance, Mr. Tate and Malia. "Allison, there he is. Hit Tate. Use the tranq on him." Isaac says. Allison focuses the gun, on Tate. Firing it, she missed the first shot. And the second. I could tell she was nervous due to her heavy qnd uneven breathing.

"Allison. Allison! Breathe." I tell her. Her breathing evens, focuses the gun once more. And this time, he hits Tate and he falls to the ground. But the coyote ran back to the car wreck. "Colline, she's gone." Allison says. "I know where she's going." I said as I followed the coyote. "Colline wait!" Isaac calls but I kept running.

-- Stiles

After Allison, Isaac and Colline took off. I called Scott and spoke to him through voice mesage. "Scott, it's me, you got to call me back as soon as you can. It wasn't Malia's doll. It was her sister's. Malia left it at the car for her sister. It's like bringing flowers to a grave. Okay, and we stole the flowers. So, that's all she's trying to do, right. Bring the doll back to the grave, to the car wreck. That's where she's headed. The car wreck." After saying that, I hung up the phone and kept walking. "Stiles?" Lydia calls out from behind me. "Yeah?" I replied. "Stiles!" She yells.

I look behind me, her foot was stepping in the mouth of the trap. "Lydia, don't move." I say. Lydia was breathing nervously. "Look for a warning label." Lydia says, nervousness laced in her voice. "A warning label?" I asked. Looking distantly for any words. "Instructions on how to disarm it." Lydia says. Spotting words at the bottom of the trap, I wondered, "Lydia, why the hell would they put instructions on the bottom of a trap?"

"Because animals can't read." Lydia says, her voice still laced with nervousness. I look at the directions, but the words were all mingled up. I couldn't understand anything. I sighed, "Lydia, we got a problem." 

"I can't read either." I state, looking at her.

--

"You don't need the instructions. When was the last time you've ever used instructions? Am I right? You don't need them because you are too smart to waste your time with them, okay? You can figure it out. Stiles, you're the one who always figures it out. So you can do it. Figure it out." Lydia says, making the weight in my heart lessen.  I sigh, "Okay, here we go. Ready? Studying it carefully, I spotted a screw that tightens the trap, twisting it carefully. I look at Lydia, she closes her eyes and immediately steps her foot out of the trap, the trap closes a little while later, and I felt Lydia hung onto me.

My whole body tingled as I held her in place. I could feel the fear leave her body, as she breathes in relief. As we walked back to my jeep. As we were walking, I hear a loud roar. Scott's. Lydia and I both turn our heads. "That's what I'm talking about."

//