Chap. 9 Nightmares

Chap. 9 Nightmares
River's POV

"We need to tell her something," Mason said as all three of us sat in the living room while Cat was hopefully asleep.

I quickly shook my head. "We can't risk it. The less she knows the safer she'll be."

"But-"

"We all care about Cat's safety, do we not?" I cut him off, looked at both of them in the eyes and they both immediately nodded. "Then we can't tell her about anything, got it? I've already lost two people and I'm not about to lose another, understand?" I felt my chest become tight as I subconsciously grazed my fingers over the tattoo on my bicep where my permanent reminder was of how dangerous this game we're forced to play is.

They both reluctantly nodded. I knew how important Cat was to Liam. She was like his sister. His responsibility. His blood.

And Mason, despite my disliking of how close they've gotten in the past few days, cares for her as if she were one of us-which she is now.

And for me...

"If it means keeping Cat safe then we won't tell," Liam said, interrupting my thoughts which I was thankful for. I just wasn't ready to think about feelings-mine in particular. "But what about them? They know who she is. They knew that she'd be walking home from the studio."

"Did she tell anyone else where she was going?" Mason asked.

"Not that I know of. As far as I know I'm the only one she told."

"Wait," I said, an idea popping into my head. "Did she tell you in person or over the phone?"

"Phone, why?" Liam said.

"They could've had her phone bugged," I sighed as I ran my hands down my face. "I know it's a bit of a stretch, but we need to get rid of it just in case. They can't find this safe house. We already made the mistake of overlooking a detail once before and this is the last one we'll get for a while."

They both nodded letting me know that I'd gotten my message across. "We need to train her," Liam suddenly said, his eyes focused on the corner where the two walls met. "If you hadn't been there..." he trailed off, the thought obviously bothering him and the rest of us. "She needs to at least know basics. She also needs to learn the house so that she's prepared just in case-"

"No," I said, shaking my head. "She doesn't need to learn the house because we will never leave her side. We're treading on some thin ice here and if we tell her too much, we'll have more than them to worry about."

"But River, we can't always be watching her back for her," Mason argued, causing me to narrow my eyes at him. "I know it's risky, but it's even more dangerous to leave her defenseless and an easy target for them. I don't know about you but I'm not going to lose anyone else to this cruel, merciless lifestyle, do you understand?" Mason growled as anger poured itself into his features and he stood up, but I could still see the tears that were starting to pool in his eyes. "Not anyone else," he whispered as his features softened with his voice.

I sighed as I pinched the bridge of my nose. No matter how much I wanted to deny it, he was inevitably, 101% right.

We'd all had something stolen from us because of this life.

It is cruel and merciless along with other things and he was right about me not wanting to lose anyone else.

Especially not someone like Cat...

No, stop River! A voice snapped at me. You can't get too attached to anyone, remember? That's what I'd been telling myself since they were killed. Not caring makes it hurt a little less when they die...

When they fall subject to your decisions...

"You're right," I stated as I erased every bit of emotion from my face like I was taught. "You two shouldn't lose anyone else. We'll come up with a schedule of some kind tomorrow, but until then, get some rest. We have a lot to do tomorrow."

They both gave me small nods before we all dispersed, all of us going to our respective rooms in the house.

I slowly made my way up the stairs, a million and one thoughts buzzing through my brain about possible ways to keep Cat safe and to keep them off our trail. I was almost to my room when one particular door stood out to me among the rest even though they all looked the same. The only difference was the multicolored lights pouring out from the crack at the bottom of the door and the overwhelming sound of what sounded like an elephant of steroids snoring.

I turned toward the door and quietly closed my fingers around the cold doorknob debating whether or not I should go in just to check on her. After weighing the list of pros and cons, I just decided to go in just to make sure that she was alright.

I quietly slipped into her room, silently closing the door behind me before I turned and looked at her. The tv was playing an episode of Bob's Burgers and casting its light onto Cat's face. She looked so peaceful and sweet. The way her hair lazily spread around her head. How every feature on her face looked calm and relaxed. How she was cuddling with the pillow...

God I wish that were- NO RIVER STOP! I scolded myself. You can't get too attached. And with that thought, I turned on my heels and started walking out of her room. I was about to walked out, when all of a sudden, a loud deep sound ripped through the air from behind me.

I immediately whipped around, pulling the small gun I kept in my waistband out in the process, and when I did, I was met by the dark face of...nothingness. The sound ripped through the air once more, causing me to jump as I immediately pinpointed the source, a relieved sigh pushing past my lips once I found the source.

Cat had resumed the starfish position in her bed, monstrous snores escaping from her lips. A small chuckle escaped my lips as I shook my head and tucked my gun back into the waistband of my pants. I turned on my heels and began my pursute of the door once more before I was stopped by a groggy voice say, "No River, don't leave," My body tensed as I stopped mid-step. How was I supposed the explain this.? 'I was just walking by and I heard a dying alpaca so I decided to come in here and watch you sleep'?

Yeah, no.

I slowly turned around, still struggling to come up with an excuse, but when I turned around, she was still asleep and her eyes were still closed. "Please don't," she whispered, urgencey and fear in her voice. "I don't want to lose you."

A hole carved itself into my chest right where my heart was and it took every bit of strength and control in my body for me not to rush over and hold her in my arms and comfort her until she fell asleep in my arms like she had a few days ago and the way she did on the ride here, but I knew that I couldn't.

I allowed myself to get too close.

Cat's a big girl. She's dealt with nightmares before and I can let her do it again...Even if she's calling my name.

I bit my bottom lip as I balled my hands into fists and hurried out of her room, focrcing myself to put my walls back up and to create as much distance between Cat and I as humanly possible. I pulled the door closed behind me and hurried down the hall to my room, ignoring her constantly calling for me to come back to her.

Lord please help me....

****
Hey guys I hope you guys liked this chapter in River's POV, because this is one of the few that will be. I'm most likely going to post another chapter today because I'm feeling extra loving toward you guys.

Teaser:💏(for all you computer users, it's an emoji of a couple kissing)

See y'all in an about hour and as always...

Love y'all- Jordan🦄

P.S If there are any spelling, grammar, or any other mistakes, please let me know. M'kay bye.