Chap. 44 Blood and Brothers

River's POV

The sound of ringing filled my ears as my grip tightened as I looked out of the window. The sun was slowly starting to rise, painting the sky a beautiful watercolor masterpiece. My leg was anxiously bouncing as I silently begged for the ringing to stop so I could hear their voices on the end of the line. I knew I'd broken so many promises to them already and I left them hanging the last time we spoke, but if they could pick up the phone one more time-

"Hello," her sleep-heavy voice called from the other end of the line.

I let out a sigh of relief. "Hi, Maria."

I heard her gasp on the other end of the line. "Riverdale?"

"Yeah," I said as I buried my free hand in the pocket of the sweatpants I'd borrowed from a staff member. "Yeah, it's me."

"Where are you? Are you okay? Why haven't you been answering the phone, I've been calling like crazy and-"

"Woah, Maria, slow down," I said with a half-hearted chuckle. "I'm fine, but I'm still in Canada."

"I'm glad, you're okay, but I swear if I weren't so glad to hear your voice, I would be strangling you right now."

I chuckled again. "I know, i know. I'm sorry. Where are the boys?"

"Asleep," she simply answered. "I'll go wake them. They've been dying to talk to you. Speaking of, did you get Cat? Where is she?"

At the mention of Cat my heart dropped. "David shot her."

I heard Maria's footsteps cease. "What?"

"Yeah," I said as I swallowed. "He was going for me but she pulled on him and he shot her. She's been in surgery for almost a day. The bullet broke up inside of her and..." I trailed, choking on the sobs that were climbing up my throat. "Th-They haven't told me anything. I'm so scared, Maria."

"Shh, Shh, Riverdale, everything will be alright," she instantly comforted. "Cat is a strong girl and she will fight. She will make it through this."

"She's has to," I said with a shaky voice. "I need her."

"I know, Riverdale, I know. Just take deep breaths. Come on, just like we did when you were younger."

"Maria, I-"

"It wasn't a suggestion, Riverdale."

I opened my mouth to say something, but then I realized she was right. I sighed. "Good," she said. "Now count with me. One." I heard her take a deep breath. I took one as well.

"One," I repeated, and we both let go.

"Good. Now keep on going."

We kept taking deep breaths until I felt secure and calmer. "Are you better now?" She gently asked.

"Yeah, thanks Maria."

"You're welcome, my sweet Riverdale," she said, and I could practically hear the smile in her voice.

"Maria, are you talking to River?" I heard a tired young voice ask in the background.

I instantly smiled. "Put me on the phone with him," I requested.

"River!" A boyish voice cheered into the phone. I instantly recognized Blake's voice.

"Hey, Blake. How's it going?"

"Forget that, when are you coming home?" He whined.

My smile slightly dropped. "As soon as I can, okay buddy?"