Chap. 24 Crossed Fingers

Nervousness was clawing at me from the inside out.

I quickly snuck a glance at the clock on my phone. 11:43. The same as it'd been when I checked it twenty seconds ago...and five seconds before that. I had less than two minutes before an hour had passed. I looked down at the keys that were in my lap and had been there since I took them from River. I chewed on the inside of my cheek as I thought about what exactly it was that I planned to do at 11:45.

Storm in there and demand for the location of my boyfriend and best friends? Yeah, no.

Try to blend in like I belonged there? Nope. I'd definitely stand out among the men and women who were dressed in fancy suits and dresses.

Stumble in there and hope for the best? Sounds about right. I just hoped that I wouldn't run into one of the many "dangerous" people River warned we wandered within those four walls.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when the alarm I'd set on my phone went off. My fingers hastily tapped the "off" button and silenced it, not wanting to draw attention to myself. There were still people constantly pouring into the building and walking out, many of the guys leaving with girls around their arms that weren't with them when they walked in. Some of them even looked at the car and snickered to their buddies as they pointed to the emblem that was on there that matched the one on the car back in America, but other than that, people steered clear of the car.

I took a deep breath before I shook out my arms and legs and rolled my neck as if I were in a training session with River preparing for a spar. "Okay, Caterina. Let's do this," I said to myself as I tucked my phone in the waistband of my pants before I scanned the area to make sure the coast was clear. After I double, triple, and quadruple checked, I unlocked the car, hating the bright flash of the lights as it did so. I quickly slid out before I locked the car and subtly hurried to the building, even though those two words didn't really belong in the same sentence.

I wrapped my arms around myself as goosebumps rose on my skin, the cool night air relentlessly grabbing at me until I pushed the doors open and hurried in.

The first thing I noticed was the pungent smell of smoke in the air. I nearly gagged as the poison slowly leaked into my nose. I looked around and noticed that I was that I was in a grand foyer with a chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Underneath it was two staircases that lead up to two separate hallways. I also noticed that in between the staircases were an opening where a majority of the smoke was coming from along with loud hollers and cheers and men yelling vulgar things.

I just prayed that River wasn't in there.

"Can I help you?" A deep voice asked from behind me, causing me to yelp as I nearly jumped out of my skin. I turned around to meet the eyes of a man in his mid to late thirties which salt and pepper hair who wore an amused expression on his face. He wore a suit like every other man here, but the only difference was that he wore white hand gloves and held an empty silver platter in his hands. "I'm sorry, ma'am. I didn't mean to scare you," he sincerely apologized. "Now, how may I help you?"

"I'm looking for the boss," I smoothly lied, remembering that a meeting with the boss was mentioned by one of the boys.

"Ahh," he said with a nod. "You're his next appointment, I see," he said, and something in my stomach told me that "appointment" didn't mean a meeting.

"Yeah," I said, forcing the sick feeling in my stomach down.

"Take the stairs one the right and go straight until you get to the last door on the left. Can't miss it."