Chap. 35 Blood

(Here's another picture of Mason in case you forgot how hot he is. Mkay enjoy the chapter)

Cat's POV

My heart raced as we took a seat at the breakfast table, my mother taking her sweet time settling herself at the head of it. I had to admit that the way the early morning light spilled through the giant window that was behind her and cascaded over her, she looked beautiful. For a split moment, all of her terrible deeds had melted away and I saw her the way my father had all those years ago when he first met her. The way her eyes caught the light. The way her skin effortlessly reflected the light and caused her to look like an angel. How elegant she looked even when her black hair was pulled into a messy bun. But that moment didn't last long a I remembered who she was and what she was capable of doing to the ones I loved.

"I called you guys here because I want to spend more time with you before we get into all the heavy things and briefings," my mother started. "Kenny, you're like a son to me and I've known you for many years and Caterina, you are my daughter and I've known of you for many years but am just now able to be with you. Either way, I want to get to know my children better whether or not they're directly flesh."

Kenny nodded and I had to resist the urge to roll my eyes. There was obviously an alternative motive that she was burying underneath her empty promises. I didn't realize I hadn't answered until I felt the heat of two pairs of eyes on me. I looked between Kenny and my mother, both having the same hopeful spark in their eyes, and I found myself nodding. My mom smiled. "Perfect," she said in a cheerful tone before sharply clapping twice, causing three people each holding two dishes in their hands to appear through the door and start piling their delicious smelling plates on the table. "Breakfast is served," she announced before removing the cover off of one of the dishes, revealing a tall stack of amazing looking waffles.

"Oh, I love Greta's waffles," Kenny commented as he removed the top from another plate revealing strips of bacon stacked high before he began pulling the rest of the covers off and stacking his plate.

The food smelled amazing, so after a few moments I slowly began filling my plate as well, careful not to show how extremely uncomfortable or nervous I was.

"So, Caterina-"

"Cat," I quickly corrected my mother. "I'm not going to tell you again."

Instead of getting angry or annoyed in the slightest, she shrugged before saying, "So Cat, Kenny here told me you're a dancer. How long has this been going on for? What's your favorite styles? How many awards have you won?" She slightly leaned forward toward me as she ate like a teenage girl trying to suck every detail of her best friend's first kiss out of her.

"Um, okay," I hesitantly said as I finished chewing the strip of bacon I'd began munching on. I swallowed. "I've been dancing since I was three-which you would know if you actually cared-my favorite style is ballet, and I've won more awards than I can count. Dad wanted me to take it because if you. He said you were a dancer when you were younger and he wanted me to grow up to be as 'beautifully talented' and 'amazing' as my mom, you know minus the whole abandoning my family thing."

A nostalgic smile grew on my mother's lips as she sipped her coffee. "Your father was always a caring person. That's what I loved most about him other than his stunning good looks. I really wish I could see him now." As she spoke she started fiddling with the wedding ring I never noticed was on her finger. She noticed me looking and quietly chuckled to herself. "When I became the boss here I took it off. I couldn't stand the thought of leaving you and your father, so I hid the last reminder of you two that I had, though it didn't work because of the countless memories I had. But after we had our little meeting the other night, I decided to dig it up."