Chap. 42 Pray

IMPORTANT REMINDER: if you click on the link at the bottom of my profile bio, you can read a chapter of this book one week before it's published on Wattpad (so once you're done with this chapter you can skip the wait and read chapter 43 because it's already posted). Not only do you get a chapter early, but I also get paid for doing what I love and that sounds like a win win situation to me. If you want more info, check out the previous chapter titled EARLY ACCESS CHAPTERS/ IMPORTANT UPDATE. Okay, on with the story

***

River's POV

No, no, no.

This can't be happening, not again. God please no.

And the betrayed look on her face as she looked to her dad and fell.

I was going to kill him.

I held Cat's unconscious figure in my arms while simultaneously applying pressure to her wound as tears slid down my face. "Cat, please don't leave me," I whispered as panic moved through me. "I can't lose you too."

It was like Gracie and Bryce all over again. Images of how she was found flashed through my head, bloodied and mangled. And now Cat...I was panicking. I was having a panic attack.

Not now. I need to be strong for her. I need to distract myself.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I snapped at David who'd merely been standing there watching me trying to save his daughter.

His daughter. Who he'd shot.

My breathing became faster.

"I-I didn't mean to. When she pulled my arm-"

Suddenly Liam was behind him with his gun pressed to the back of his head. "Give me one good reason not to blast your f—king brains out David," he coldly stated, his hand shaking as he looked at Cat.

"I wish I could," David said in a defeated tone. "But the best I can give you is this: I'm the only one out of all of us who can navigate this place-"

"That's not good enough!" Liam yelled.

"I know, I know," David quickly said. "But if you kill me, the more time you'll be wasting and the less likely my daughter will survive-"

"You don't get to call her that," I seethed as her blood began leaking through the cracks of my fingers. I looked between David then Liam then back to David. "If she dies, I will make your life hell and make you wish I let Liam kill you."

I quickly scooped her up in my arms and kissed her forehead. "You're doing so good, my love. Just keep being strong for me and I'll make you the biggest chocolate cake when you wake up, okay?" I whispered as some of my tears fell on her face. Her chest was rising and falling very slowly. That was the only thing that was keeping me going.

David looked back at Katherine's body before he looked at Cat and shook his head. "This way," he said as he hurried out the door. I made sure Liam had Mason before I hurriedly followed him through the complex building, making sure I wasn't to rough with Cat as I did so.

I didn't pay attention to where we were going, I just let my legs follow that bastard as I focused on Cat's breathing. It was slowing down. And she was losing a lot of blood. I sent multiple silent prayers to whoever or whatever was above but as I continued looking at her...

Had I done too much wrong in my life and this my punishment? Having to standby yet again as the one I loved died in my arms.

I quickly pushed the thought away, but it didn't stop the sobs that escaped my lips as he ran.