Chap. 38 Plans and Parties

My heart was racing as Kenny led me to my mother's office. He'd come to get me from my room telling me that I'd been "summoned" and we'd been walking in tense silence since.

Kenny and I had trained last night and as we walked as slowly as possible to my her office, I felt ants of anxiety crawl up the back of my neck. What if we'd been caught and she was about to punish us, or worse kill us? I mean, if she could manage to find out that I was with River and that I'd be with him when he came to Canada, she'd definitly be able to sniff out when something sus is happening under her roof. We were stupid. Careless. And now we're going to-

"Cat, relax," Kenny lowly said as her office door appeared at the end of the hall. "You look suspicious and nervous. Your mother is like a dog: when she smells fear, she attacks."

"Can you blame me for being nervous?" I hissed. "We're on our way to our deaths and you're telling me to calm down?"

"You don't know that for sure," Kenny said as he stopped in his tracks and grabbed my shoulders. "It could be nothing, so don't blow our cover. If you do, it's every man for himself."

My eyes widened as panic took over me. "Kenny, I-"

"Relax," he chuckled as he gently punched my shoulder. "I'm just taking the piss out of you." I narrowed my eyes at him and punched him in the shoulder.

"Ow," he pouted. "That actually hurt."

"That wasn't funny Kenny," I deadpanned, causing him to chuckle once more as we slowly began walking toward my mother's office again.

"I know, I know, I'm sorry, but hey at least your right hook is getting better and I did get rid of your jitters, didn't I?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Haha. Very funny." Kenny threw his head back and laughed as he pushed the door to my mother's office open and though I was jumping out of my skin, hearing Kenny's laugh and just knowing he was in it with me made me feel at ease or at least less sweaty.

As we walked in, my mother stopped talking to the three men that were sat in chairs in front of her desk, all of their eyes instantly focusing on us. "I'm sorry, are we interrupting something?" Kenny casually asked as he surveyed the room. The men were tall and muscular and foreign to me. I'd never seen them before, but the hardened look in their eyes told me that they weren't ones to mess with.

"Not at all," my mother said as her lips pulled into a friendly smile. I had to admit that she almost had me fooled. Almost. "Gentlemen, I'll go over everything with you one more time later," she cryptically said as she nodded to the men who were in front of her. They mutely nodded before they all got up in sync then headed out the door in a single file line, causing Kenny and I to hurriedly step out of their way.

"What were you talking about?" I casually asked as Kenny and I took the men's places in the chairs in front of my moms desk, its massive size making her look even smaller than she already was.

"The same thing I'm about to tell you two about, actually," she said as she folded her hands together. "We're having a party tonight."

"What for?" Kenny asked, his eyebrows knitting together causing a small crease to form between his thick brows.

"For Caterina," she said as she smiled at me, causing my heart to drop.

"What?" I asked, shock and confusion evident in my voice. I knew Kenny said she was having something big and using me as bait but this...I don't know why there was a small sliver of me hoping that she wouldn't stoop so low. I have to stop allowing myself to put even a speck of faith in my mom. She's not even my mom. I don't know her. And she doesn't know me.