Chap. 48 Welcome Back

(Reminder: you can read the next chapter early on Inkitt using the link in the bottom of my Wattpad bio. The next chapter is a good one so if you don't wanna wait, check it out!)

"Baby girl, wake up," a familiar voice gently called as I felt a soft nudge. I slowly peeled open my heavy eyes to see River standing in front of me. "We're here."

I childishly rubbed my eyes before they adjusted, making me realize where we were: River's house. He smiled. "The boys really wanted to see you." The corners of my mouth slightly turned up as I allowed River to help me out of the car to see that Mason and Liam were already making their way up toward the front door.

"Slow down, you two," River called before he positioned his arms around me in preparation to pick me up and carry me since I didn't have the strength to make the long journey. "Ready?" I nodded I response and he carefully picked me up and started on his way toward the front doors where Mason and Liam were waiting. By the time River and I made it up the stairs, Mason was excitedly looking at River, asking him the silent questioned.

River grinned. "Ring it." Mason did so without missing a beat and I could tell that he and Liam were excited to see the twins, but nowhere near as excited as River.

After a few moments, the door cracked open revealing Maria's face. A look of shock flashed across her face but it was quickly replaced with joy as she let out a squeal of sorts and wrapped her arms around Liam and Mason as she rushed out phrases in Spanish that I couldn't quite catch.

"Wow, Maria. I see that you've missed me," River joked, causing Maria to pull away, her eyes growing wide as they landed on me.

"Oh my goodness, River..." she trailed as she approached us. "I'm glad to see you're alright, Cat dear," she gently said as she kissed my cheek.

"Thank you-"

"Hey!" River cried as Maria punched his arm. "What was that for?"

"You shouldn't have put her in this situation!" She snapped.

River sighed. "Alright, I deserved that."

"Okay, okay, let's skip all the chastising and stuff. I wanna see my favorite twins," Liam complained as he and Mason walked into the house, fingers tightly interlocked.

"I see they finally got together," Maria commented and River nodded. "Now, tell me exactly what happened-"

Suddenly screams erupted from inside the house, causing River to tense, but he relaxed when a familiar voice filled the air. "Uncle Mason! Uncle Liam! What are you doing here?" One of the twins questioned, causing River to chuckle before we made our way in with Maria following behind us.

"What happened to your-" Brooklyn or Blake asked- since I hadn't seen them in so long I forgot the little physical markers that differentiated them- just as River and I entered, causing both of them to stop what they were doing and rush to River in an excited furry.

"Hey," he said with a laugh as they hugged his waist.

"You're back! So are you Cat!" One of them said as they wrapped their arms around my legs.

"Yeah, we are," I chuckled.

"Now boys, be careful with Cat. She's hurt and can't do too much," River warned causing the one around my legs to let go.

"What happened?"

"Well, Brooklyn..." he trailed as he looked at me, looking for the right words to delicately describe the situation, but Blake beat him to it.

"Was it the same people who hurt her? Gives us the names and we'll beat them up!" He said as he punched his palm causing Brooklyn to nod.

"Yeah. We'll punch them a lot and kick them too!"