Chap. 29 David

Liam's POV

My heart raced as my knuckles started white due to the intensity of which I was gripping the steering wheel. Every time I closed my eyes, Mason's motionless body was laying there with a gaping hole in his stomach. "How's he doing?" I asked River who was in the backseat with Mason.

"I don't know," he helplessly answered. "I've stopped the bleeding but I don't know if anything important was hit. Only a doctor can tell."

I cursed as my foot pressed further on the gas pedal. Today has been the worst. First my boyfriend gets shot and is bleeding out with little to nothing I can do and then Cat...my God Cat. The look of sheer terror that was on her face. The gunshot. Her blood. "We need to tell him,"'I said as a hospital came into view. "He'll know what to do. He's helped us before and he'll help us now."

"I agree," River nodded. "This is bigger than us and if anyone will know how to get her back, it'll be him."

"Call him. The sooner he knows, the better." Without saying another word, River did as instructed as we grew closer and closer to the hospital. God, please let him be okay. I can't lose him, I love him too much and I've lost too much already.

"David?" River said after a few moments of silence. "We need your help. It's an emergency."

***

Cat's POV

Pure fear and anguish were heavily pumping through my veins. My leg was on fire and with every wretched step I was forced to take, the bullet buried itself deeper and deeper within me. "Just keep walking, sweetie," the man who shot me gently stated as he adjusted his grip on my waist and assisted me through the pure hell he put me through.

"Go to hell," I gritted out as my grip on his shoulder tightened as I limped toward the unknown destination he was leading me to. After I was shot, he threw me in a car and tightly wrapped an old dress shirt around my wound to suppress the bleeding and now, several anguish-filled hours later, I'm walking through a maze of hallways in the shadow of a fate I don't know nor can I control. I wonder how Mason was doing. How Liam is. How River is. My throat tightened and even though a small part of me loathed them for forcing me to go and being so scared of their Boss that they'd put me and all their lives in danger, a bigger part of me prayed they didn't blame themselves. I tightly clenched the necklace that River gave to me. He'll find a way. He always does. We always do.

"Ah, sharp tongue, this one," he chuckled as we rounded yet another corner before stopping at a door that had four men waiting for us, two on each side with their gaze fixed dead ahead as if they were statues. "Good day boys," the man smiled as he clapped one on the shoulder. They didn't flinch let alone say a single word. "A quiet one these lot," he sighed as he twisted the door open, revealing a hint of an English accent that was buried underneath his American one.

"I wish you'd be quiet," I gritted out before a whimper escapes my lips. It hurt so bad and my body felt so weak.

"Oh relax. Our doctor will be with you and get that nasty little bullet out of your leg. I would say I'm sorry, but the look on Riverdale's face was absolutely pricel-"

"Shut up or I swear to all things chocolate I will drop kick you all the way back to Mother England," I grunted just before my knees buckled and my head spinning. Wait, was it just me or is the ground getting super-

***

River's POV

"You guys are lucky that you got him here when you did. Even a minute later and we could be having a completely different conversation right now," the doctor said, causing both Liam and I to let out a sigh of relief before Liam's eyes started watering, but he quickly blinked the tears away. "We successfully removed the bullet, but his heart is struggling to compensate for the extreme blood loss he's suffered. So, for now, we're going to be keeping him on a controlled amount of sedatives to keep him asleep so his body has time to recuperate itself. Like a medically induced coma, but less serious."