Chap. 27 The Masquerade

River's POV

The cool air bit at me as I sat on the balcony outside of Cat and I's room. The city lights beautifully shined in front of me accompanied by the sound of the busy streets. My leg was uncontrollably bouncing as my mind raced, and I wanted nothing more than to hold Cat right now and never let her go, but she was in the shower and I didn't want her to be more worried about me than she already was.

God.

The look of pure terror on her face when I stumbled in a bloodied mess losing my grip on life itself haunted me. But I held on. I had to. For her. My Cat.

I looked at my shoulder where the wretched bullet had once been now stitched up and heavily bandaged. I lightly touched it with my fingertips and remembered the passion and need in the kiss Caterina and I had shared in order to distract me with something much more powerful than pain-amor. Love.

My fingers were itching for a cigarette, but I promised Cat I would stop and I wouldn't want to disappoint her. I carefully pushed myself up from my sitting position, a slight wince escaping my lips as pain ripped through my shoulder causing me to sit back down.

I forgot what a pain it was to have a bullet dug out of your flesh. I should try to avoid that next time.

After taking a few moments to collect myself, I pushed myself up once again, this time using solely my good arm and my legs in order to avoid the pain. I slowly made my way to the kitchen and grabbed an apple seeing that I hadn't had anything all day, not even the amazing breakfast Cat had made for us this morning. I sighed as I leaned against the counter and closed my eyes. I needed to get out of this, but I just didn't know how. This life had already taken one of my loves and I wasn't going to let it take another. Not the boys. Not Blake. Not Brooklyn. And not Cat. I was going to find a way to get us all out even if it means-

I was pulled from my thoughts when I felt two delicate hands rest on my shoulders, causing me to tense before I realized who it was. "You scared me," I whispered as I opened my eyes and was greeted by the breath-taking sight of my beautiful girlfriend- her wet hair tied up in a bun, her delicate skin free of any makeup, and her adoring eyes looking up at me with nothing but affection swimming in them.

God, why are you so cruel by giving me your best creation that I'm so unworthy of?

"Sorry, babe, I was just worried," she said as she linked her fingers behind my neck then placed a gentle kiss on my lips. "You haven't really said a word since you've been home and I wanted to make sure that you were okay."

"I'm fine," I said as I cupped her face in one hand. "I just..." I trailed, not wanting to worry her with my thoughts, but she shook her head.

"You can tell me Riverdale. I'm here for you and it's my job, my need to make sure that you're alright, even when it feels like the world is falling apart around you."

My lips pulled into a small grin as I held her close. "That's why I love you so much," I whispered. "You're always so invested in others and you always want to make sure that everyone's okay." I placed another soft kiss on her lips which she easily responded to, wrapping her arms tighter around my neck and deepening the kiss. I tightened my good arm around her waist and picked her up before I placed her on the counter, our lips interlocked the whole time.

"Riverdale, I know you're trying to distract me and it's not going to work," she laughed into my lips as she pulled away, causing me to groan. At least I tried. "Now, tell me what's on your mind babe and let me make it better."

"But you can't, Cat," I sighed as I leaned on the counter with my hands on either side of her hips and my waist resting between her legs. "I just want to get out of this. I want to get all of us out of this life. I mean Mason could've died, the Silencers could've followed us home, I could've led them straight to our hideout...I could've led them straight to you Cat, don't you get it?" I questioned as I looked her into her eyes, my vision becoming slightly blurry due to the tears that filled my eyes at the thought of Cat getting hut, but I quickly blinked them away. "It's like no matter how hard I try or how careful I am, someone I care about ends up getting hurt and I'm not going to have a repeat of Grace and Matthew with you, do you understand?" By now tears were freely falling down my face and I made no attempt to wipe them away. I wanted Cat to see how much she means to me and if it came in the form of tears, then so be it.