Chap. 49 Yes

"There you go. Nice and easy," River advised as I slowly bent over and touched my toes. There was an uncomfortable pressure where my wound was but I had to keep going. I started straightening up, a wince escaping my lips as discomfort moved through me once more until I was in a full standing position.

"How did that feel, baby girl?" River asked as he gently placed his hand on my lower back.

I nodded. "Good. Better than a couple weeks ago at least." He nodded in response. It had been about a month since we'd gotten back, and though I was glad to be home, it was hard. Between the constant pain my wound was giving me and the nightmares that kept sneaking up on me in all hours of the night, I was exhausted and scared. Though we had David in the inside telling us the Silencers' positions, and most importantly the fact that Heather was virtually unaware of what had happened to her "partner", it was still unnerving. If Katherine could keep Kenny out of the loop, who's to say they won't cut my dad out too? He claims that they don't know that he helped us, but that could be a lie too. Thinking about it all made my head hurt.

"I need to sit down," I mumbled as I sat on the bed I shared with River and placed my head in my hands.

"What's wrong, Cat?" He gently asked as he sat next to me and wrapped his arms around me.

I brought my hands down and tiredly rested my head on his shoulder. "I don't know," I shrugged. "It's just...I'm so used to looking over my shoulder now and the fact that everything is so quiet makes me worried. Like everything is going to come crashing down any moment and we'll be scrambling again. We have targets on our backs and probably will be until we're dead or something and...I just hate having to wonder if I'm going to have to defend myself or kill someone or if one of you will get killed and..." I trailed off before sighing. "It's exhausting."

River sighed. "I hate myself for doing this to you."

"River-"

"Don't tell me that I didn't drag you into this because I know that's a lie."

"I would've found out eventually. Liam is my best friend, you know."

"Who you recently found out was apart of this life," he pointed out before sighing again and running a hand through his hair. "I will figure this out, okay?"

I nodded and he kissed my temple.

"Have you decided on what you want to do with Heather yet?"

I inwardly groaned. I was on the fence. On one hand, I wanted her to pay for all the physical and emotional pain she'd put me through all in the name of "wanting River", but on the other hand, I didn't want to sink down to her level. And I couldn't trust her with River because when it comes to revenge, all morals are out the window. He might even kill her.

I shrugged and he sighed. "We need to hurry before she-" He was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"It's Liam. Please tell me you're decent because these are really heavy."

I chuckled. "Come on, idiot." Without wasting a second, he pushed open the door and hurried toward the door with two backpacks that were stuffed to the point that I was surprised that everything had fit without them busting.

River groaned and I had to resist the urge to do so as well. Somehow the boys had struck a deal with the school so that we could finish school through online classes and some summer work. I don't know how they managed to do that, but they did. "I don't want to think about school right now," River groaned as he wrapped both of his arms around me and pulled me down so that we were both lying on the bed. I laughed. "I just wanna spend time with my baby girl."