Chap. 18 Love Bites

Amazing cover by Milliontheorc I seriously love this with all of my being💞

Chap. 18 Love Bites

River's POV

I was awoken by the sound of labored breathing. I immediately opened my eyes and found Cat on my chest with tears streaming down her beautiful face. Her eyes were tightly screwed shut and whimpers escaped her lips. "Baby girl wake up," I urgently said as I cradled her and stroked her cheek.

"Please Heather stop!" she sobbed as she balled her hands into fists so tight that they lost their color. "Shawn no!"

"Cat!" I yelled as I gently shook her, heartbreak and anger rising within me.

Heather and...Shawn.

My jaw clenched and unclenched as my thoughts raced, but I kept myself under control because of the fragile little beauty that was in my arms. "Please don't," she whispered, sounding utterly defeated and scared.

"Cat!" I yelled and her eyes snapped open. She looked exactly how she had earlier today; broken and scared. Tears were welled up in her eyes and some escaped down her cheeks.

"Oh River," she whispered as I pulled her into my chest. She buried her face in my shoulder as she let out sobs that broke my heart. Her shoulders shook as she cried and she wrapped her arms tightly around herself as if reassuring herself that it wasn't actually happening again, but rather it was a sick dream.

"Shh, baby girl. It was just a bad dream," I whispered as I peppered her with kisses and rubbed her back until her sobs became no more than uneven breaths. "I'm here, Cat," I said as her now red eyes looked up to meet mine. I slowly leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss on her soft lips.

"I know you are," she said as she pulled away and rested her forehead on mine. "Just...please don't leave." It completely broke my heart to see her like this. So scared and defeated.

A weird feeling built up in my stomach at seeing her like this and my heart ached. When I'm done with them...

"Are you okay, love?" I softly asked, distracting myself from my thoughts and refocusing on Cat and what was happening now.

"Yeah. Sorry for waking you up," she apologized but I shook my head as I gently stroked her cheek with my thumb.

"It was an honor to be awoken by such a beauty," I said with a smile causing her to roll her eyes before she buried her face into my chest.

"Good night," she sleepily said as I too resumed my sleeping position.

"Good night," I said as a devious plan started forming in my head on how to make those low-lives pay for what they did to my girl.

***

When I woke up again, I was spooning the most beautiful girl I've ever had the pleasure of setting my eyes on.

Cat groaned as she repositioned herself in my arms, causing the back of her shirt to rise up until her bare back was pressed against my stomach. Her warm breaths fanned against my chest as they exited her soft lips. Her cheeks were still a bit red and I could still see the faint trails of her tears. Her jaw was still bruising and the cuts along her face turned a bright red color which contrasted with the unusual paleness of her skin this morning. Rage still burned on the tip of every nerve in my body as it always did every time I saw what Heather and Shawn did to her. They will pay. Dearly.

Suddenly Cat let out another groan before her beautiful eyes fluttered open. Her eyebrows furrowed together in confusion as her eyes wandered around her room before they landed on me. "Am I having another dream or am I really in my bed with Riverdale Parker spooning me?" she wondered out loud, causing me to chuckle before I placed a soft kiss on her forehead. "Ok, I'm defiantly dreaming," she said with an adorable smile.